Case IH 485 info/opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

A.J.

Reaction score
I've been looking at replacing the Ford 3000 with a little bit newer and larger tractor. Buddy of mine came across a late 80's model Case IH 485 4WD with a Hardy front end loader. It's got around 2,000 hours on it. Anybody got much experience with these tractors? I've never worked with a Case IH, so I'm pretty green when it comes to them, and wasn't sure if there were particular things to watch out for on this model. I'm also not familiar with Hardy loaders if they are good ones or not. Tractor would be used mostly for bush hogging, tetting and raking hay, and loading and unloading round bales. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have one that I have been doing alot of brush removal with, general dirt and pasture fence work with. Bale loading/ unloading on trucks etc. I have no complaints at all other than I want more power now, but that has nothing to do with the Case. I pull a Athens 97 disc with it, normally will take 2-3 pass to get axle deep in a sandy loam soil, but I have more disc than tractor with 7'6" wide cut model
http://www.athensplowcompany.com/M97.htm
I assumed my loader was Case? not positive? We bought ours with 1200 on it. Only thing I have read is to watch is using the e brake, if you forget to take it off and keep using with it on, you will contaminate the fluid. I have done this one time, I do not use the e brake anymore, it just to easy to forget. I have been very impressed with the tractor, I have basically been using it like a small dozer and its done fine. The steel hydraulic lines are not available, have been replacing with rubber as they fail.

Oh yea, at start up the alternator gauge light will come on, bump the throttle and it will go off. I am guessing its like a GM single wire Alt that uses RPM to excite it.

Thanks for the reply and the pics saltbranch. Sounds like it's been a good unit for you.

Latest posts