careful who you climb into bed with

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Our Perspective; BEEF Magazine's Cow Calf Weekly (May 29, 2004):

R-CALF Adds Another Blunder

While the industry reaction to R-CALF's earlier attacks on the safety of U.S. beef were widely condemned, most critics considered them unfortunate lapses in judgment that some organizations make in the heat of the battle. R-CALF made it clear this week, however, that the organization believes that the end does justify any means.

The group held a press conference on Thursday, hand in hand with radical anti-beef activist groups, to denounce USDA's handling of the BSE situation. The press event in Washington, D.C., questioned the safety of beef, and called for government hearings on the matter.

The decision to align with such radical anti-beef groups seems all the more surprising considering that many within R-CALF hope to make the organization mainstream and represent producers on a wide spectrum of issues. Instead, this latest R-CALF blunder seems to push them more in the direction of radical activism than mainstream representation.

As could be expected, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and other groups issued blistering press releases questioning R-CALF's decision and motives. It's shocking, following the disastrous statements regarding beef safety just a few weeks ago, that rather than issue an apology, the organization confirms to all that it is willing to destroy beef demand in order to further its isolationist, protectionist, anti-trade policies.

R-CALF has some legitimate concerns and issues, and a significant number of good cattlemen who support its positions. But, it's time for R-CALF to make radical changes in its leadership structure so such inexcusable mistakes aren't repeated. R-CALF's members have far too much invested to have the organization lose all credibility or be subverted by these radical stands.

For a moment, consider the caliber of groups R-CALF publicly aligned itself with this week:

The Consumer Federation of America (CFA) is famous for opposing irradiation, and pushing for the reduction of beef in the school lunch program among other things. CFA's leader, Carol Tucker Foreman, is famous for her anti-beef rhetoric and efforts to stir up the hysteria about the safety of our product.

The Consumer Union (CU), along with CFA, have been two of the leading groups pushing since Dec. 23, 2003, the message that beef is unsafe. You've probably read the multitude of inaccurate statements by CU "leader" Michael Hansen in the popular press. Hansen and the CU have also led the crusade against biotechnology and GMOs.

The following is a quote from former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop in regard to Hansen's rhetoric: "Unfortunately, a few fringe groups are using misleading statements and blatant falsehoods as part of a long-running campaign to scare consumers about a perfectly safe food ... it is necessary to condemn these attacks ... for what they are: baseless, manipulative and completely irresponsible."

Then there's Public Citizen (PC), which gains its supposed credibility through founder Ralph Nader. But PC is best known for its membership in the Global Safe Food Alliance, formed by such animal rights organizations as Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, the Western Organization of Resource Councils, Farm Sanctuary, etc., to put out anti-meat messages. If you want more information on PC, just go to its Web site at http://www.citizen.org/ , check out the "Meatrix" at http://www.themeatrix.com/ or the report "Jungle 2000" at http://www.whistleblower.org/uploads/Th ... 00%20-.PDF .

-- Troy Marshall

Frenchie-- Could maybe R-CALF have been right back then? Since all major Agriculture Groups have now came out AGAINST the USDA's proposed opening of the border and allowing in Canadian OTM beef and live cattle..... Farmers Union, Farm Bureau, R-CALF, NCBA, OCM.......They are all looking to protect the US cattle industry and US beef ..............

The only ones pushing for reopening the border are the multinational packers and AMI (American Meat Institute- packer lobby) that are looking for a source of cheap cattle and beef they can make a bigger profit on.............

OT.

This is ,nt about Canadian cattle, this is about a cattle org that sold out to the animal rights groups.

So you crawl into bed with the anti- beef people, to keep your competitors out. Good idea scare the consumer about beef...... what a great idea.

Meanwhile these same people are against beef producers everywhere.
R-calf is willing to do anything ....even it backfires on the U.S beef industry. .....?

[/b]

Frenchie- I guess I see it a little different-- you call them anti- beef groups-- I call them consumer groups that just want to know the quality and origin of where their food comes from..........

I have one question? Why don't Canadians support country of origin labeling so that the consumer can make the choice of where the food (and especially their beef) come from?????????

If Canadian beef is so good and safe why isn't the Canadian producer pushing to require it to be labeleled and sold as a "product of Canada". Could it be that they know it is an inferior or questionable product in the minds of consumers and that they need to continue passing it off as a US product to sell it?

Oldtimer
If your complaint is with the labeling why don't you say anything about the thousands of head of Mexican cattle that come acrost the border every week. Are you saying that the Mexican herd is onpar with ours and they are safer than Canadian cattle?? If so what do you base your reasoning on?
your curious friend
Mike

mwj":2a5vzb24 said:
Oldtimer
If your complaint is with the labeling why don't you say anything about the thousands of head of Mexican cattle that come acrost the border every week. Are you saying that the Mexican herd is onpar with ours and they are safer than Canadian cattle?? If so what do you base your reasoning on?
your curious friend
Mike

mwj- I think ALL meat should be labeled with country of origin, which would leave the choice on whether to purchase it up to the consumer. Lately tho, its been the Canadian beef that has received more attention because of the BSE issue-- especially now when the USDA wants to allow in OTM (over thirty month) boxed beef from a country with a history of BSE.

Ot ...I am firmly in favour of identifing Canadian beef as such.And I don,t beleve Canadian producers are against it at all.

Anti beef is anti beef period.

I call a spade a spade.......I guess your peta membership is tied to R- Calf as well. :roll:

frenchie":wryb3zez said:

I call a spade a spade.......
I couldn't agree more, Frenchie! Call it like you see it! It seems that some of our organizations are more concerned with pushing their agendas than who they have to sleep with to get results. Putting profit ahead of principle might seem good in the short term, but in my opinion, it's a recipe for long term disaster. These groups are our enemies and there's no way to sugar coat that!

Texan":3jagsu4a said:
frenchie":3jagsu4a said:

I call a spade a spade.......
I couldn't agree more, Frenchie! Call it like you see it! It seems that some of our organizations are more concerned with pushing their agendas than who they have to sleep with to get results. Putting profit ahead of principle might seem good in the short term, but in my opinion, it's a recipe for long term disaster. These groups are our enemies and there's no way to sugar coat that!

Texan-- I'm no great fan of some of these consumer groups--- But what does upset me is that when NCBA teamed with Carol Tucker Foreman and the Consumer Federation of America to press thru legislation on processing beef, it was considered an alliance for the good of both----But when the same group joined R-CALF in its attempts to guarantee that the American consumer is offered safe beef we're not only living together, we're living in sin and producing b*stard children....... You can't have it both ways-- Having been involved in local govt and local politics I learned a long time ago that you can't pick and choose who your backers and supporters are or you get nowhere...............

Having been involved in local govt and local politics I learned a long time ago that you can't pick and choose who your backers and supporters are or you get nowhere............

ENOUGH SAID ...........A man or and organization is known by the company he or it keeps

frenchie":mlt965br said:
Having been involved in local govt and local politics I learned a long time ago that you can't pick and choose who your backers and supporters are or you get nowhere............

ENOUGH SAID ...........A man or and organization is known by the company he or it keeps

Frenchie- You're starting to sound like Scott on ranchers- when cornered do personal attacks- you're better than that......

I am quite proud of the service I gave to my community- school board, vounteer fire chief, Sheriff, etc.....

Frenchie- when I ran for Sheriff, I had several people I had previously arrested and a couple that I had hauled to prison that came to me to get campaign material-- They said I had always treated them fairly and honestly and they wanted to campaign for me---Now they probably aren't the people you really are seeking to campaign for you for Sheriff - What do you do? tell them to take a hike??

As far as the consumers groups- Like I said there are several that I don't totally agree with their ideas or agendas--- But I think we are better off working with those groups, being open and honest with them and working toward the goals we have in common, then we are to stonewall them and continually be fighting with them on everything...........

Oldtimer":b1o5o5hd said:
As far as the consumers groups- Like I said there are several that I don't totally agree with their ideas or agendas--- But I think we are better off working with those groups, being open and honest with them and working toward the goals we have in common, then we are to stonewall them and continually be fighting with them on everything...........

I don;t really want to get my dog in this fight, but we've learned from the gun control people that working with them doesn't work. They start treating you like you're giving them legitimacy, but their agenda never changes.
Get in bed with a dog and you're going to get fleas.

dun

Oldtimer":26qu7elg said:
frenchie":26qu7elg said:

Frenchie- You're starting to sound like Scott on ranchers- when cornered do personal attacks- you're better than that......

I am quite proud of the service I gave to my community- school board, vounteer fire chief, Sheriff, etc.....

Sorry you took it personel, but to be honest I really don,t care about your service to your community.Not trying to be mean, but there ain,t anybody worrying about us up here ,our kids, or our communities.

Frenchie- when I ran for Sheriff, I had several people I had previously arrested and a couple that I had hauled to prison that came to me to get campaign material-- They said I had always treated them fairly and honestly and they wanted to campaign for me---Now they probably aren't the people you really are seeking to campaign for you for Sheriff - What do you do? tell them to take a hike??

Tell me Ot are these anti- beef outfits that R- calf is associating with trying to promote beef in the U.S

Frenchie-

As far as the consumers groups- Like I said there are several that I don't totally agree with their ideas or agendas--- But I think we are better off working with those groups, being open and honest with them and working toward the goals we have in common, then we are to stonewall them and continually be fighting with them on everything

How a western rancher could justify defending his cattle org for getting in bed with the anti- beef people is beyond me. :roll: :roll:

Not trying to be mean, but there ain,t anybody worrying about us up here ,our kids, or our communities.

That's not true. Me and I hope all US cattlemen care about you, your kids, and your communities. But to be perfectly honest, I personally am afraid that we would be in the same dire straits that you are in if the border was reopened with no restrictions. There was a one hour show on RFD-TV last night with NCBA --Jan Lyons and 2 men, forgot their names. I think they touched upon what US cattlemen are worried about. I didn't agree with all they said or how they said it, but it was educational. The taped show will be repeated.

Oldman I watched and grited my teeth! They give an almost answer that people want to hear. The feed tests in Canada were rightfully discused but they said the us was 99% in compliance like that made us better :oops: How much feed would 1% be in this country?????? They DEMANDED that trade with asia be reastablished by March 7. Give me a break, do people believe that Japan will say ok because they demand it. If the people think that the answers are that easy I hope I never have dealings with this group.
your friend
Mike

Old Man":tw9xdo9z said:
Not trying to be mean, but there ain,t anybody worrying about us up here ,our kids, or our communities.

That's not true. Me and I hope all US cattlemen care about you, your kids, and your communities. But to be perfectly honest, I personally am afraid that we would be in the same dire straits that you are in if the border was reopened with no restrictions. There was a one hour show on RFD-TV last night with NCBA --Jan Lyons and 2 men, forgot their names. I think they touched upon what US cattlemen are worried about. I didn't agree with all they said or how they said it, but it was educational. The taped show will be repeated.

B.S.E is a known disease of cattle over 30 months.So why the ban on cattle not at risk. Simple = Protectism......

you don,t want restrictions you want the border closed entirely to all ages of stock, including all ruminants. We are talking feeder cattle under the age of 30 months here .

Btw there are several restrictions proposed in the U.S.D.A rule.

Dr. George Luterbach from the CFIA said while the feed is being studied as a possible source of the infection, there could be another explanation.

"A theoretical possibility is the transmission from a mother, late in the disease, to her offspring," said Luterbach.

Frenchie- I took this from a Canadian story about the latest Alberta cow-- Were you aware that it was transmissable from cow to cow or cow to calf? This is the first I've heard of this theory.... Thats the problem there are more theories on cause, how transmitted, infection rates, and detection than there have been cases.....Japan claims they have found BSE in under 30 month cattle- 20+ month olds.....The "sound science" of BSE is not very sound....

We need to find a lot more out about this disease before we start dropping barriers and weakening restrictions........

Oldtimer":1ghyf4p7 said:
Dr. George Luterbach from the CFIA said while the feed is being studied as a possible source of the infection, there could be another explanation.

"A theoretical possibility is the transmission from a mother, late in the disease, to her offspring," said Luterbach.

Frenchie- I took this from a Canadian story about the latest Alberta cow-- Were you aware that it was transmissable from cow to cow or cow to calf?

Oh here we go again, another theory. Anyone notice here that OT says its a theory in one sentence and relating it as truth in the next paragraph. Heres his next statement.

OT, statement .....is the first I've heard of this theory....

NICE Try :D

OT, statement... Japan.claims they have found BSE in under 30 month cattle- 20+ month olds...

Japans uses the rapid screening test.... Tell me Ot how many B.S.E cases would the U.S have now if they had relied only on the rapid test..At least 2 that I know of.

Latest posts