cant wean him

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
got a steer a year old+/-. weaned em at 6mo for about a month in a pasture not adjoining his mommas with a hiefer and another steer. after probly 4 weeks or so i turn em back together and he goes right to her tit and is almost taking her off the ground hittin it. so i pen em again the same way for another 6 weeks or so and after i get home hes thru the fence and on his momma again. shes nursin her new calf now and hes takin all the bag out of her. she dont seem to care. i know i gotta seperate em again but this is unusual for me. dont take this long. im keeping the steer for freezer so thats that. any input

wow! :shock: i never thought of that!!! :oops: thanks.... :lol: :lol:

just seems like hed been over it by now. or she'd be over him by now. ill be sortin em tonight no matter

It happens. It is the cow. It will happen again probably on the next calf. I have a year old heifer nursing her momma, a nurse cow, after being here at the house for four months away from her. I will be bringing that nurse cow here to my 16 acres at the house once she is bred.

backhoeboogie":1t2ztkbj said:
It happens. It is the cow. It will happen again probably on the next calf. I have a year old heifer nursing her momma, a nurse cow, after being here at the house for four months away from her. I will be bringing that nurse cow here to my 16 acres at the house once she is bred.

Calves coming off a nurse cow are VERY hard to wean. Even 6 months away and I'm still wary about putting them in the same pen together.

I've had 2 young calves, not siblings, nursing the same cow, but not as they got older.

I think you knew the answer to your own question before you asked it.

Alan

dieselbeef":1wuurays said:
got a steer a year old+/-. weaned em at 6mo for about a month in a pasture not adjoining his mommas with a hiefer and another steer. after probly 4 weeks or so i turn em back together and he goes right to her tit and is almost taking her off the ground hittin it. so i pen em again the same way for another 6 weeks or so and after i get home hes thru the fence and on his momma again. shes nursin her new calf now and hes takin all the bag out of her. she dont seem to care. i know i gotta seperate em again but this is unusual for me. dont take this long. im keeping the steer for freezer so thats that. any input

I suspect your initial weaning time may have been a bit short, but some animals just don't understand about weaning and will continue to allow their calves to suck - regardless of the amount of time they have been seperated. If the mother does the same thing with her next calf, I would ship her.

I'd put him in with the big boys for an attitude adjustiment...will soon find his place at the feed bunks.
We keep the calves, cows and production steers seperate...once a steer moves in with the big boys he doesn't
go back in with the calves.
Just my two bits worth...Dmc

Have had the same happen here. The calf had a very strong sucking urge and would suck on the other calves once he couldn't get to his momma anymore. He would suck on ears,tails,and such. Caught him trying to suck on navels which is a very bad thing. Moved him in with some steers who were a little older than him. That fixed things. We, personally, like to have cows that will accept other calves so we don't try to discourage the cow - but do discourage the calves once we want them weaned.

We had a show steer last year that we bought from someone else so he was not related to any of our cows and he would always nurse anyone who had milk and would let him. He never did stop so we could not let him out with any cows or heifers. He would try to nurse them even if they did not have milk.

Latest posts