Can't get Bottle Baby to Eat Calf Starter.........

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
Have a month and a half old bottle baby who was started on calf starter (pelletized 17% protein with corn, and other stuff and a molasses smell) at about a 2 weeks old. At the time, I mixed it with a little oatmeal so it would be softer and gummier. He was eating it just fine out of my hand. Then when I let him into the pasture with the rest of the herd, he started turning up his nose (literally) at it. I now can't get him to take it whether plain or mixed with oatmeal, and he is definitely a little too skinny for my likings, especially when compared to his siblings of around the same age.

He is getting a bottle (10oz of powder to 2 qts water) twice a day and a mid day bottle (2oz of powder to 2 qts water) just so I know he is getting water.

What can I do to get him to take the grain/feed?

I would stop the extra bottle, just make sure he is drinking water and he probably will. That should get him more interested in the grain.

NMVaquero":1hz9x04i said:
Is he eating on the pasture?

Yes, but being that young calves dont get a lot of nutrition from grazing, he is still way too skinny.

denvermartinfarms":19p4edmi said:
I would stop the extra bottle, just make sure he is drinking water and he probably will. That should get him more interested in the grain.

I did stop the mid day bottle for about a week or so, but he still would not touch the grain. Also, as I said before, the mid day bottle is mostly water anyway just to make sure he is getting water.

You mention there are calves about the same age. Are they eating the calf starter? So often imitation gets the ball rolling.

Have you tried something besides starter? We have had some calves that would not eat starter but would eat a mix of soyhulls, gluten, distillers and corn.

Coco Donatella":1ysiw919 said:
You mention there are calves about the same age. Are they eating the calf starter? So often imitation gets the ball rolling.

I'm sorry, but you lost me. All calves are about 1 1/2 mths old and with their mama's, except for the bottle calf who has no mama. Why would any other calf be on starter?

snake67":2prj4sf8 said:
Don't worry about it - all in good time

Just keep the milk flowing

Bez

Yes, but I am definitely getting concerned over him being skinny, which is obviously due to not getting enough nutrients with the milk replacer compared to mothers milk, the grain would certainly take care of that. And that coupled with the fact that replacer aint exactly cheap.

Your calf is obviously stealing milk . Enough to make him too full to eat the grain but not enough to fill him out .

If you are that worried pull him from the herd for a while and pen him , so he gets his bottles and his daily starter ration.

hillsdown":k99t9wnx said:
Your calf is obviously stealing milk . Enough to make him too full to eat the grain but not enough to fill him out .

If you are that worried pull him from the herd for a while and pen him , so he gets his bottles and his daily starter ration.

I don't think he is stealing, but you never know. I am going to watch him very close for a couple of days. If he is or even if I think he is, I will separate him for a while. Good idea, thanks

robertwhite":1dii3rm7 said:
snake67":1dii3rm7 said:
Don't worry about it - all in good time

Just keep the milk flowing

Bez

Yes, but I am definitely getting concerned over him being skinny, which is obviously due to not getting enough nutrients with the milk replacer compared to mothers milk, the grain would certainly take care of that. And that coupled with the fact that replacer aint exactly cheap.

Well, you said it.

So - change the replacer - there are good ones and there are bad ones.

The bargain basement stuff may or may not be what you are using, but I can tell you from far too many years of experience that following the directions on the bag in many cases will only produce a runt.

Bump up the dose in the water my friend

Bez

Like has been said, pull him from the herd and keep him in a pen by himself. You'll spend a lot of money on milk replacer trying to get a bottle fed calf to keep up with calves on cows. At 6 weeks old he is getting close to weaning age, if it were me, I would keep him by himself on grain until you are ready to wean the entire bunch. He will still be smaller than the rest, but you'll know his nutritional needs are being met and I think it will be the best return on your money.

Not getting enough milk in my opinion. Does he look for more when you take the bottle away? Give him more. At that age I give them all they want. I don't usually put them on starter till a couple months old. Works for me, anyway.

Latest posts