Cannot find calf, - pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Mycows

Reaction score
I have 3 Miniature Highlands due in September. One was born yesterday (the blonde cow's calf) and one was born today (the dun cow's calf). These are the first Highland calves I have ever had. I cannot find the calf that was born yesterday. Yesterday I saw it and got this picture, but today I cannot find it. Also, when I found it, it was in a very wet area, you can see how wet in the picture. They have 10 acres fenced with 4-strands electric. Is there cause for concern that I cannot find it and that it was last seen in a wet area?

Picture_053.jpg

Picture_055.jpg

Picture_042.jpg

Picture_030.jpg

If the mama is bawling and looking for it you have a problem. If she is calm probably ok.

If you watch carefully when you first walk up, or make a calf sound, especially new mamas will often look right in the direction of the calf.

Watch the cow when you walk around. (10 acres isn't that big, though - am I missing something myself?)

Looks like you have a lot of vegetation there which, of course, will restrict easy sighting.

When I was a kid, we had 292 acres that sometimes had to be searched for a calf...and finding a holstein calf in the vegetation was rough...but not impossible.

Like Hippie Rancher said, do a baby calf bawl. Also, start walking the 10 acres and let mama see what you are doing. Keep mama in sight...she'll know when you start getting close to the baby and and will most likely tip her hand, as it were. You might even hide and watch mama. Danged old cows will wander off eating, but if they are good mothers, they'll show up to check on the baby and feed it.

Just my 2 cents...that's how we did it when I was a kid, anyway.

Oh, beautiful babies, by the way.

alice

Mycows":14tl8o40 said:
Is there cause for concern that I cannot find it and that it was last seen in a wet area?

So long as Mom is calm and is being nursed, I wouldn't worry about it - she will bring her calf up to the pens in a day or three.

I went out early this morning to find the calf. The calf was at her mother's side. Both calves are doing well. Thank you for everyone's help! :D

Mycows":9p0rox00 said:
I went out early this morning to find the calf. The calf was at her mother's side. Both calves are doing well. Thank you for everyone's help! :D

Oh good!

Alice

Mycows":87d5sdrh said:
Hi Alice. Isn't this a great forum?

Is this a trick question? ;-)

Ok, I'd say about 99.9% of the time it is a great forum. :)

Alice

Very often when I'm looking for a newborn, I'll walk right over them 2 or 3 times before spotting them. It's an instinct bred into cattle for centuries to hide their young. Glad you found the little critter.

Latest posts