canadian contribution

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
You Canadians have made allot of great contributions to this world over the years but what in the sam hill were ya'll thinkin when you came up with those dadgummed Canadian thistles? Those suckers will be here after a nuclear war.

Just like Canadians, our thistles don't thrive when the competition gets stiff. Let your affected areas grow over the summer, graze in the fall and repeat the next year. It will quickly thin them out.

Now, who's gonna bite first? :)

I am staying even with them by spot spraying with roundup mixed strong. I just can't defeat them. Kill one another pops up.

kenny thomas":1zqgskyl said:
:bs: Here they will out compete anything around them. Leave them a year and they will spread bad.

No BS. Around here, the only ones who have problems with Canadian thistle are those with pastures that have been heavily overgrazed for years (where my problems cropped up as well). I've pretty well eliminated it on my place using delayed grazing on those areas. Now if I can figure out a way to eliminate greater burdock, I'd be set.

Wonder what the difference is? If we leave it alone it takes over. Much worse in some parts of Kentucky than here. Some places there it is about the only thing growing on the roadbanks.

HOSS":1rli78r6 said:
I am staying even with them by spot spraying with roundup mixed strong. I just can't defeat them. Kill one another pops up.

Have you tried spraying the area in the winter when they are small? They are still growing so it should kill them. I think I will try it next winter.

Its not 'Canadian Thistle' it's "Canada Thistle", and it came from Eurasia, being brought over by 17th century colonists. What were they thinking?

bward":1dc5bvpv said:
Its not 'Canadian Thistle' it's "Canada Thistle", and it came from Eurasia, being brought over by 17th century colonists. What were they thinking?

Same thing as the stupid chickweed, that stuff is a nightmare !

bward":1u8es9f7 said:

They must have had the foresight to see it would be a big seller for bird enthusiasts at Walmart.

I spray brush in the spring with Remedy and Hi-Dep. Always spray patches of thistles with it also. They're right Aaron, if we let them go, even in non-grazed areas, they get worse and worse. May be the difference in winters.
A lot of people 10 years ago put the bugs that eat the rosetts in the thistles. They really worked on the population of thistles. The hard part is you gotta' leave some thistles or you kill all the bugs. Now I only have to spray real problem areas, and let the occasional small patch in pastures grow for the bugs. I'd have to say since the bugs were released our thistle problem has been reduced by 75%. gs

Latest posts