Canadian Cattle Exports

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
Just saw the news this morning on Bush's trip to Canada. I hope he doesn't give in and accept catttle into the US. Just imagine what that will do to our prices. If we must mend fences I feel they should only allow certain numbers to keep our prices here stable. Just a thought. No offense to you guys in Canada. How do the rest of you feel?

mhill":36r2gccs said:
Just saw the news this morning on Bush's trip to Canada. I hope he doesn't give in and accept catttle into the US. Just imagine what that will do to our prices. If we must mend fences I feel they should only allow certain numbers to keep our prices here stable. Just a thought. No offense to you guys in Canada. How do the rest of you feel?

I think you're confused. We're not refusing to allow cattle from Canada because of prices. We're refusing to allow cattle to be imported from Canada because of BSE. IMO, if our experts are convinced BSE is not a threat from Canada, then we should allow the border open.

Frankie":2yyg911u said:
I think you're confused. We're not refusing to allow cattle from Canada because of prices. We're refusing to allow cattle to be imported from Canada because of BSE. IMO, if our experts are convinced BSE is not a threat from Canada, then we should allow the border open.
Very well said, Frankie! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am concerned because there will be an abundance of cattle. It about supply and demand. If there is an overabundance of cattle flooding the market, the prices will drop drastically. Are you willing to go back to the low prices of a few years back. Prices have dropped a bit, but they have been stable and profitable. If we allow all these cattle in the prices will drop.

mhill":q4zqcbml said:
I am concerned because there will be an abundance of cattle. It about supply and demand. If there is an overabundance of cattle flooding the market, the prices will drop drastically. Are you willing to go back to the low prices of a few years back. Prices have dropped a bit, but they have been stable and profitable. If we allow all these cattle in the prices will drop.

Our prices are based on what consumers are willing to pay for beef. When beef prices reach a certain point, consumers will buy pork and chicken. That's why our prices have softened a bit.

How many cattle do you think there are in Canada that would be ready to go to the US if the border openeed today ?

Probably enough to flood the market here. I am not saying we should not take in Canadian beef. I am saying our strongest prices came when Canadian exports were stopped to the US. What have you guys been doing with your cattle for the last 18 months or so. From what I've heard if you sell them you are giving them away. You can't tell me if the border opens it won't drop prices down here. It's economics. For example,It's probably good in Canada for milk prices because of your quotas because you have limited numbers of cows. Down here, when milk prices are up everyone puts on more cows. Result lower milk prices.

Probably enough to flood the market here. I am not saying we should not take in Canadian beef. I am saying our strongest prices came when Canadian exports were stopped to the US. What have you guys been doing with your cattle for the last 18 months or so. From what I've heard if you sell them you are giving them away. You can't tell me if the border opens it won't drop prices down here. It's economics. For example,It's probably good in Canada for milk prices because of your quotas because you have limited numbers of cows. Down here, when milk prices are up everyone puts on more cows. Result lower milk prices.

I think that if you look at the statistics, you will see that you are importing more beef now then you were before the Canadian border closure. The difference is it is coming fron South America and Australia instead of Canada.

You are correct, but it would still cause an over abundance of cattle which would lower prices. I am not arguing against Canadian beef. I would much rather have your exports than South American or Austrailian.

I believe that the border will probably open slowly. All the infrastructure for shipping cattle south is gone and will have to be re-built. What we really have an abundance of up here are hamburger cows. I don't think the border will open to these anytime soon.

As stated above, the border will open slowly, I belive it will be another year before live beef crosses the border, and then light feeders only,eventually 30 months and younger. It may be years before slaughter
cows can cross.
With the border opening slowly I don't expect any noticable change in our market as the numbers will be too small.

Hillbilly

Do you guys think that cattle prices are going to drop like back in the 70's and 80's, when after cattle prices got so high, everyone and his brother went out and got 5 or 10 head that owned a few acres of land and then flooded the market right here in the US?

I know that prices were high this year, but then, I know a lot of people that kept most of their heifer's for replacement's this year. I didn't, but know some who did since the border's were closed.

If you didnt sell most of your calves you were kind of foolish. With prices of 1.20- 1.30 for feeder calves it makes it hard not to sell. Keep your best ones only.

I did sell all of mine. I said I know some people who didn't.

mhill":23fnkaic said:
How did you make out selling them?

I did very, very, very well. I sold back in August and Sept. when prices were higher.

Family will be getting a very nice vacation for the next couple of years, plus alot of new toys to play with around the ranch.

mhill":38phxkki said:
If you didnt sell most of your calves you were kind of foolish. With prices of 1.20- 1.30 for feeder calves it makes it hard not to sell. Keep your best ones only.
I still have all of mine. Can you explain to me the mistake that I have made.

ollie wrote:

I still have all of mine. Can you explain to me the mistake that I have made.

Well, I have almost all of mine as well - mind you, I am on the north side of the border!

Bez

Latest posts