Can you solve this one?

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
In another board earlier this week, I wrote about an angus heifer calf I had that couldn't get up. She has been laying down now for 7 days. We have been giving her LA200 and B Complex. She has always had clean feed, hay, and water in front of her. She never really looked that bad; very energetic, just couldn't get up. In fact, I don't think she lost any weight. Her feed consumption has never really dropped. This morning she stood up for the first time and remained standing for about 2-3 minutes and layed down again.

Does anyone know what is going on here? I'm baffled... :help:

Gerald I don't have any idea.....no fever or anything? Just don't want to stay up? Sounds like me once when I had clinical depression. :lol:

"Doesn't get up".. does that mean tries but fails? How does she try? Does she act like she is lame or unable to get up because of a leg / hip problem? How old is she? Bred? Seems there should be more to go on to get much of an answer here.

OK, here are more specifics. She is about 4 months old (about 220 lbs). She does try to get up, but doesn't make much progress; acting lame. Her legs are fine, because if I drag her, she will kick with all four. I picked her up in a sling on Saturday and she kicked with all four, but she will not even attempt to put pressure on them. She just lays there and eats and drinks. When I am approaching her with feed, she gets very excited, so she cannot be too sick... :???: This is now Day 9, and I am looking for closure. Any input will be appreciated.

I had a 6 month old heifer calf a few months back, went down from the cold weather and being bullied from hte others. We took her home, had the Vet out, gave her IV drugs, and for the next 2 weeks, she did not get up. We hip lifted her when we could, and eventually she did actually get up, and was fine.....UNTIL about 2 weeks ago, when the weather switched to very cold again, she went off feed and died within 24 hours. I imagine her immune system was comprimised, I'm sure initially she had pneumonia which effected her lungs also. Point is, maybe your calf has pneumonia and is too weak too stand. Depending on how much money you want to stick into it, maybe a Vet could do something,IV dextrose, antibiotics, fluids, etc...

I know some people say if they have been down for more than a week etc... they are good as dead, but I don't think that is always true.

Good luck.

GMN

Thanks GMN. I will give her until Sunday and then she will meet her demise. This thing is getting too expensive.

I'm new to cattle, but i do know quite abit about horses...how different can they be? I would say consult your vet over the phone. If she is bred it may be an issue of misscariage. Depending on your location i would look into the idea of limes disease. This can cause great discomfort when standing on limbs and causes great tiredness. She sounds like she wants to get. Im not one to give up on animals unless they are already slaughter bound but you should concider the chance that her tendons and ligaments could be namaged from being down so long. The big think is to keep her hidrated. Having a vet do fluids and pain meds could give her enough of a boost and comfort that you could get her up and moving. Is she urineating and passing food?

Thanks FFACOWGIRL, but she is already a goner. I had to be the grim reaper on this one...