can you smell cancer on cow ?

Help Support CattleToday:

onecowfarms

Reaction score
picked up a heifer calf today at the sale barn and i guy i know that works there said he could smell cancer in her she has a bad r rear leg looks to be swollen and has a small cut by the hoof so she has troble getting up right now she is very alert and has good build .so has enybody heard of being able to smell cancer ? i still think if i get her leg fixed up she will make a good calf and i could not beat the price free

WHAT????????????

Sounds like that guy needs to go to the cuckoo barn.

If she has a cut and it is swollen it is probably infected which probably/might smell.You had better get on the asap if it stinks it could turn to gangrene.

FWI unless you're a gifted dog you can't smell cancer.If he is that good he needs to start a clinic it sure would save a lot of lives.

it not so much a cut as it is like a gate it it and scraped the skin off a little no blood or it was not open , i was kinda thinking along the same lins as you he should have his own tv show

We had a cow with throat cancer 3 or 4 years ago. Her breath would knock you down, unlike any other smell I've associated with cattle.

I doubt your heifer has cancer. Have a vet look at her, worst you'll be out of is the vet bill. And maybe a bullet.

cfpinz

If this guy could smell cancer, he wouldn't be working at the sale barn.

I would take em like that everyday of the week!

I wish they had freebie Fridays at our sale barn, all we have is "too much money Mondays".

I have smelled things on a cow that would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon.
This guy is the blue ribbon winner as I have never heard of any cattleman or anyone else claiming to smell cancer before. I have heard them claim just about everything under the sun.

hrbelgians":3sxo9dz3 said:
I got just a little whiff of BS over here.

I agree, Caustic do you also hand out blue ribbons for smelling BS?

What he could possibly smell is the cheesy looking puss often found in a badly inflamed area like you'd typically find in an abcess. That is one very foul smell.

I've seen some very advanced stages of what we just simply call "cancer eye". Could've been pink eye that got carried away. Obviously an infection of some sort, flesh rotting down to the eye socket. Very rank smell. Seen it on their nose too. Once even saw it on the repro area the size of a cantaloupe. "Cancer" just turned into a convenient description. That's probably what the feller was talking about. If he worked at the salebarn he's probably looked at quite a few cows, and knows what he talking about, just in "cow chaser" language.

after checking the calk out today i found the smell it was infection in her 2 back hoofs it did not take much to get the pus to start running out gave her shot of pen g max abd put some drawing sav on it will try and get her in a sling and get her soaking tomorrow the smell was very nasty !!

Latest posts