Can you guess this steers weight

Help Support CattleToday:

mab_va

Reaction score
I have a Jersey Angus steer I bottle raised since last July. I dont have scales but Im guessing he is around 450lbs now. Im not good at guessing weight because this is my first batch of cattle. What do yall think?

IMG_6534_zpsfe53293b.jpg

You are ball park on the weight. But I think you are off on the breeding. Half angus shouldn't have the horns. And half Holstein would have horns and that white star on its forehead. There are a fair number of Jersey/Holsteins around and that is exactly what he looks like.

great thanks for the help. If he is half holstein does that mean he will take longer to grow out and finish?

Dave":1drhve7s said:
You are ball park on the weight. But I think you are off on the breeding. Half angus shouldn't have the horns. And half Holstein would have horns and that white star on its forehead. There are a fair number of Jersey/Holsteins around and that is exactly what he looks like.

The have a couple of papered angus around here with horns. Go figure. Probably a neighbor bull jumped a fence. Nevertheless the owners are convinced they have purebreds on their hands.

mab_va":1abrpaqh said:
great thanks for the help. If he is half holstein does that mean he will take longer to grow out and finish?

Longer that what? Half jersey? No.

He aint "bad". Better than the meat you'd get at Wal-Mart. You could get him ready for the freezer in around 6 to 8 months would be my guess.

backhoeboogie":3li4auha said:
mab_va":3li4auha said:

Longer that what? Half jersey? No.

He aint "bad". Better than the meat you'd get at Wal-Mart. You could get him ready for the freezer in around 6 to 8 months would be my guess.

What I meant was I heard holsteins grow more frame before they can finish compared to angus and jersey. Dont know if thats true just what I heard. 6 to 8 months sounds good to me.

mab_va":3t7ynudi said:
What I meant was I heard holsteins grow more frame before they can finish compared to angus and jersey. Dont know if thats true just what I heard. 6 to 8 months sounds good to me.

It depends on the animal. Genetics too.

Pure holstein and pure angus cross yields an F1. He could be huge. Looking at him it does not appear to be the case.

I don't think anyone can tell you anything absolute. You're just going to have to pour the feed to him and see what happens.

mab_va":191vsyld said:
I have a Jersey Angus steer I bottle raised since last July.

Hope he's off the bottle by now :p

Sold a 10 month old Jersey/Holstein in Feb, was going to finish him off for my freezer but he started getting really cocky. Live weight at auction was 345kg(760lb) so your guy probably weighs more than you are estimating.

alisonb":2pzejdvs said:
mab_va":2pzejdvs said:
I have a Jersey Angus steer I bottle raised since last July.

Hope he's off the bottle by now :p

Sold a 10 month old Jersey/Holstein in Feb, was going to finish him off for my freezer but he started getting really cocky. Live weight at auction was 345kg(760lb) so your guy probably weighs more than you are estimating.

haha yeah they were weaned last fall. Id be broke if he was still drinking milk!

Difficult for me to guesstimate his weight when he isn't standing next to anything that would give me a referance point, even the fence posts behind him are a bit far away. If I had to guess I'd guess somewheres between 450 and 500.

I've had a few AngusXJersey and he looks like a bunch of the ones I've had.

Even if he were Holstein Angus.....my concern, though, are the horns. Pure (supposedly pure) Angus are polled and Polled and dominant over horned, therfore he shouldnt' have horns.

Either way, he'll make decent beef.

:)

Katherine

Son of Butch":1jmv6982 said:
Yes that is a picture of a HoJo.
Sold some HoJo finished steers last week.
17 months old 1280 lbs 1.34 lb [graded low choice]

How did you finish them?

Steer Stuffer Feeder [provides unlimited grain ration free choice 24 hrs a day]
12% ration consisting of cracked corn with protein pellet containing bovatec and 100% vitamin and mineral fortified.
2 lbs of hay per day
encore ear implants

Latest posts