can I worm my 3-week old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
My calf is 3 weeks old when can I worm her? Can I give her a shot of Triangle at 3 months old or should I wait until she is 6 months old?

yes you can worm a 3wk old calf if you think she really needs worming.as for shots at 3 months that i dont know.you need to ask your vet that q.

Go ahead and worm her. We will be worming all ours today, and they range from 1 week to 2 months old. Best to give either an oral wormer or an injectible (Ivermectin). Pour-ons don't work as well. You can give her her shots now too, but talk to your vet about what to give.

randiliana":2nsn242t said:
Go ahead and worm her. We will be worming all ours today, and they range from 1 week to 2 months old. Best to give either an oral wormer or an injectible (Ivermectin). Pour-ons don't work as well. You can give her her shots now too, but talk to your vet about what to give.

The spring worming the calves range for a week or so to a month or so. We use Panacur (Fenbendazole) orally.

randiliana":149s782p said:
Pour-ons don't work as well.

I'm curious as to why you say this? I've always used pour-on for my bottle babies, and had very good results. Luck, maybe? A difference in area, maybe? Why would it work for me, and not you? Any ideas?

msscamp":3ia82tap said:
randiliana":3ia82tap said:

I'm curious as to why you say this? I've always used pour-on for my bottle babies, and had very good results. Luck, maybe? A difference in area, maybe? Why would it work for me, and not you? Any ideas?

The reason we don;t use a pour on for calves "that are nursing cows" is that the cow usually just lickes it all off long before the calf can absorb it.

msscamp":1cesw13d said:
randiliana":1cesw13d said:

I find that the pour-on just doesn't do the trick for intestinal worms. I presume, that they just don't absorb enough to kill the worms. We just wormed some cows with injectable Ivermectin, that have been pour-on'd every fall. And we don't have worm problems here during the winter. Pour-ons work well for the external parasites, just (and this is my opinion) not for internal parasites.

dun":2v465ik5 said:
msscamp":2v465ik5 said:
randiliana":2v465ik5 said:

The reason we don;t use a pour on for calves "that are nursing cows" is that the cow usually just lickes it all off long before the calf can absorb it.

Valid point. Brain fart on my part - sorry. :oops:

randiliana":2lgga2jm said:
msscamp":2lgga2jm said:
randiliana":2lgga2jm said:

I find that the pour-on just doesn't do the trick for intestinal worms. I presume, that they just don't absorb enough to kill the worms. We just wormed some cows with injectable Ivermectin, that have been pour-on'd every fall. And we don't have worm problems here during the winter. Pour-ons work well for the external parasites, just (and this is my opinion) not for internal parasites.

I can understand, and respect that. Thanks for replying. :)

Latest posts