Can Horses Eat Baled Soy Beans & Baled Mylo?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hobby Farmer

Reaction score
We are in a drought here in Texas and looks like we might loose our soybean crop. Probably will end up baling them. Does anyone know if a horse can eat these baled crops? Have a new horse that is settling in with the cows, so I'll have to know if I need to separate them if we do this. Thank you.

Well, we use soy bean straw for bedding and feed on this place.

I always throw a bale of it into the horse pen for them to root around in. I honestly do not know how much they eat - so I guess I can say they do not really like it - but they do chew on it a bit.

Does not seem to hurt them, but I would not rely on it as the main feed.

Bez?

I can't help you with this one, sorry. I can, however, advise that if you decide to do this, make sure the hay is free of dead blister beetles! Best case scenario - dead blister beetles will make your horse sick, worst case scenario - they can kill him.

I've never heard of Blister Beatles in Soybeans. Usually in Alfafa where I am from. Do they get in soybeans as well?

3MR":s6ckvr85 said:
I've never heard of Blister Beatles in Soybeans. Usually in Alfafa where I am from. Do they get in soybeans as well?

According to what I've read, yes they can.

Hmm, thats very intresting. I just tried to do some quick research, but couldnt find anything specifically on Blister Beatles in Soybeans. Thast worth noting. Im not one of those people that believe one beatle will kill a horse regarless of circumstances, but better safe than sorry.

3MR":3pehucwf said:
Hmm, thats very intresting. I just tried to do some quick research, but couldnt find anything specifically on Blister Beatles in Soybeans. Thast worth noting. Im not one of those people that believe one beatle will kill a horse regarless of circumstances, but better safe than sorry.

Try searching for "blister beetles + soybeans".

msscamp":2sxg54pv said:
3MR":2sxg54pv said:

Thats what I tried. I was using google. Did you find something using a different search engine?

I also looked on the Noble Foundation website.

3MR":3devq9j0 said:
msscamp":3devq9j0 said:
3MR":3devq9j0 said:

Thats what I tried. I was using google. Did you find something using a different search engine?

I used Google and got numerous hits for differents parts of the country.

msscamp":344z581v said:
3MR":344z581v said:
msscamp":344z581v said:
3MR":344z581v said:

I used Google and got numerous hits for differents parts of the country.

Funniest thing. when I typed it in I got nothing except stuff on blister beatles. When I copied what you wrote and pasted it in I got all kinds of results for BB's in Soybeans. Go Figure.

Thanks

Latest posts