Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Been a rather crazy year.
Only lost 1 calf, hubby figures the calf weighed 120 pounds! Out of a really good cow from 2009.
weather had been really nice til last week and the snow decided to start falling.
I got stuck in some really nasty mud while trying to pull a calf in the barn, got twisted around and fell against our corral fence. Could not get myself up, luckily my daughter came down and helped me out.

Got a call from the vet. One of our cows froze her back teats and just calved last night. Now to decide do we ship them both or keep the calf and graft it onto daughters Jersey when she calves next month.

4-H steer was feeling good last night and kicked me above my right knee when I was pulling the new calf into the barn. He was just feeling good because he was inside and had a belly full of hay and pellets.

Daughter is really turning into a great cattle woman! :D :D Can spot the cows going into labor quickly and knows how to get them in the barn quickly.

I honestly dont see how you guys do it up there in God's country..
Sounds like your daughter has a knack for being there at the right time.
Around my place.. nothing happens quickly.

We were worried that the cow with the frozen teats would not be able to feed her calf really well. He got one of the frozen teats to start milking. Just going to keep them around here this summer and watch them both.

Latest posts