Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you think flyingS that CT was a exclusive 500 head or more club. Even in the sandhill i figure they is a few small outfits. You have not offended anyone yet have you??

Red Bull Breeder":1gq2lx9c said:
What do you think flyingS that CT was a exclusive 500 head or more club. Even in the sandhill i figure they is a few small outfits. You have not offended anyone yet have you??
Yep theres some small guys in the sandhills and several larger than what ol flyingS runs I know most of the larger outfits and I probably know ol flyingS but don't know any that use blessed management practices or what evr it was he said he used
I just wanna know where he gets all them HOLY cows at I ain't never tried preaching at mine but I cuss em alot

Red Bull Breeder":3b5ry1d4 said:
Most of the people that live here make there living exclusively ranching. Yes there are some smaller outfits. Small here would be between 150 and 350 hd. What is the average herd size where you come from Red Bull Breeder

Don't no what the state wide average would be. I no alot of folks that only have 35 or 40 momma cows. Also no a lot of people that hav 500 to a 1000 momma cows . Still does not mean that folk with a few can't be members on CT.

I would have been well over a hundred plus this year had it not been for the drought and a tough decision by the CEO of the corporation to cull hard... ME

I decided to cull hard and rebuild better than ever .. I will let you know next year how that is working out.

Not bad for a one woman operation...

I would rather have a small herd of superior genetics than a large herd of mediocrity..

Maybe a few of you (newcomers) should research more before you post..

Am I still p@ssy ,,,,,, YES...

I have a friend that is a hired hand on a farm that farms about 6000 acres and they are continually buying new combines and tractors. He likes to say things to me like: "you ought to check out the new tractor we just bought" "Why don't you get a new tractor?" I told him, what are you bragging about? You don't have a new anything. :)
I may not have the biggest operation or the newest equipment, but it all belongs to me, I built it. I don't take orders from anybody else, except my wife. :)

Now that there is some debate going. Some of you tell me how you make your smaller operation sustainable. Looking for any new ideas. I would love the opportunity to get out on my own, just can't see how to make it work here. Land prices are high and so are bred cow prices. You can't run a cow on less than about 13 or 14 acres yr. round (thats probably 6 to 10 acres less than most run them on). There isn't any farm ground either.

flyingS":3s8va5k0 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3s8va5k0 said:
Most of the people that live here make there living exclusively ranching. Yes there are some smaller outfits. Small here would be between 150 and 350 hd. What is the average herd size where you come from Red Bull Breeder

Between 35-50 head is considered regular around here. Anything bigger than that and your a cattle baron.

flyingS":3kk2nozg said:
Now that there is some debate going. Some of you tell me how you make your smaller operation sustainable. Looking for any new ideas. I would love the opportunity to get out on my own, just can't see how to make it work here. Land prices are high and so are bred cow prices. You can't run a cow on less than about 13 or 14 acres yr. round (thats probably 6 to 10 acres less than most run them on). There isn't any farm ground either.
When I was in the sandhills we figured 25-35acres per cow/calf and about 10 acres for stockers
where I am at in Missouri now we figure 3-5 acres per cow calf pr yr, land is high here but cheaper than alot of places and we have no farm land to speak of Where I am at in the southern part of the state
so we can run more cattle on smaller places and I think if I remember correctly that the average size cow herd in Mo was around 50 hd or maybe a few less, less than 5% of the producers in missouri ran more than 200 hd and about 10% ran 100 hd or more
from the latest figures Missouri is ranked 3rd in # of beef cows in the country and most of it is because the guy who has 80 acres and a job in town can run 10-20 cows

Man that is crazy that you only need 3-5 for a pair. Just shows how poor our grazing ground is around here.

Latest posts