Calving!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi! I have 3 texas longhorns and they are currently about 4 months along in their pregnancy, they have not come back into heat at all and I was just wondering when/how far along will it be when they start to show? Also any other information I should know?

Now. If heifers you may see some signs now. I had one heifer this year, the youngest that didn't respond to synchronising nor again 3 weeks later. I put the bull in and thought she may have been in season a couple of weeks later but not convinced. She was always a bit long and strung out and tucked up in the flank. I went to preg test her last week about 3 months after I suspected the bull was with her expecting to find her open and to send her off. When I got her in and looked at her I almost didn't bother palpating her. Her coat had slicked off (summer here) she was filled in in the flank and just had that look of wellness about her. I did palpate her and she was 3 months pregnant. I think that is the case with most of my heifers, they become settled and have that healthy look and put on weight rapidly soon after falling pregnant.

Ken

It takes a pretty keen eye for someone to routinely pick out cows that are "bellied out"
Just be patient. They'll show their guarantee. Closer to their due date.
thanks they do have small bellies that are high and big not low and big like a hay belly

they are bred to a purebred texas longhorn
Will these be the first LHs you have calved? If not, did your others show signs this early? As others have said, not that unusual for a cow or heifer to not show in 4 mos, especially LHs. Good thing about them, though, is very few ever...even heifers... have a problem calving, they are great mommas and have good milk.

Latest posts