calving ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We bought 20 bred cows about 6 weeks ago that were all heavy bred. Anyway, I think I know the answer but I'm hoping for a more positive response from people with more knowledge than me. About 3-4 days ago one of the cows had the mucus hanging from her. When checking them yesterday the same cow exited the pond with what appeared to be afterbirth hanging out of her. It was around 4 feet long and dragging them ground. She seemed totally unstressed and grazing like no big deal. Her bag is filling but not super full, she also had a little blood discharge. I drove around everywhere and couldn't find a new calf anywhere. Is it possible the calf is dead and still in her?

Does she look thinner? And do you check them daily or was that the first time you saw her after the 3 - 4 days since you saw the mucus plug? Anything is possible. For a positive scenario, maybe she had the calf, has it hidden somewhere & her bag didn't look full because the calf had recently nursed. The only way to know for sure is to either see the calf or get her in & put on a glove. BTW, I walk when looking for a calf - she'll keep an eye on you & you can tell when you're getting close.

M-5":2b3th5lp said:
from my experience if the afterbirth it out then a calf came out with it. could be in the pond or could be an expert at hiding it
Pretty much sums it up

I was thinking it might have somehow got in the pond, sure hope not, I didn't see one floating or anything. She is in a two paddock area about 25 acres and flat. I didn't see it but one day I looked for a new calf for 30 minutes only to find it when I had just given up when almost drove over it. It's the first of "my" cows to calve so I hate to start off bad but I know it's part of the game. :(

You either have a hid calf or a dead one
cows can be quite creative in ways to kill a newborn.
Had one have it on the side of a stock tank little devil slid right in the water popped up in three days. Had another one spit one out on the side of the creek about a ten foot drop broke its neck. If you own them long enough they will never cease to amaze.

I'm guessing she's hiding it. Dead calves are easier to find unless something carried it away. So I think you probably would have found it after looking, probably would have been able to smell it when you were within 20 feet.

Well, I'm still hoping against hope that it's hidden somewhere but the pastures she is able to be in are flat and fairly easy to search. I looked again today all over and nothing. She seems content with the herd, I'm guessing it's in the dang pond at the bottom. :(

Caustic Burno":f2dvblcv said:
I betting its in the pond.
Might of missed it how far along was she?

I'm thinking its in the pond too. The body (whatever kind of creature) will sink, pretty much right away. By day 3, the body usually will rise to the surface.

Look at her udder in the morning and again in the late evening. If she's nursing it you will see a difference in ehr udder

I had one last year end up in the bottom of an old well. We just started renting that place the well had a wall around it but no top
, They amaze me sometime what they can do. Sleeve her and see for sure, been there done that last week. Mine was dead I did find it, but there could be another in there too.

Like workinonit mentioned. Wait three days and you will probably see it floating. I had one have hers in the pond a couple years back. When I checked them that evening she was running up and down the side of the pond bawling. Told my wife "she's had that calf in the pond" She said "you always think the worse" To which I said "maybe, but I ain't wrong this time" Sure enough, three days later, I fished out a big ole bull calf. Like CB said, they never cease to amaze me with the things they can get into and the ways they can find to die.

I had a similar one last year and the calf was still in her. Never made it to the birth canal somehow so she never really started contracting or something. Darndest thing. She was about a month early too. I pulled out about an 85 lb dead bull calf that seemed fully formed.

Well, no dead calf anywhere including floating in the pond. Is it possible I've misread the whole situation and she hasn't calved? We haven't been able to get her up and check (which I've never done anyway). If the calf is still in her and dead should she be showing signs of stress? She is acting totally normal.

Latest posts