calving ?

Help Support CattleToday:

We had 1 several years ago when baby calves were bringing great money, we walked every square inch of the farm. Never found the calf, and we seen it the day before that nursing. We were convinced somebody snatched it up. Calf and momma were last seen next to the road and it's all woven wire, if they did steal it they earned it the momma is mean as the devil will go thru gates fences and anything else to get you when she has a calf

she should be getting sick if the calf is dead and rotting inside her.

I had one born two months ago, never saw the calf. I found the spot where she'd calved, could see the track through the vegetation where the calf had slid down into the creek... creek was completely blocked by a fallen gorse bush just a couple metres down but I waded up and down and never found it. Never smelled it either.

If she did not shed the afterbirth she more than likely had twins or a preemie. In either case all could have died...By now you should be able to tell if she's been nursed. If she still has a calf in there, I would think you'd smell it, or you'd see something brewing out of her vaJJ...

I watched her some today and I'm thinking she hasn't even had it yet. She just seems totally normal, no smell or signs of sickness. Hope I'm right.

tncattle":26c6t5u9 said:
I watched her some today and I'm thinking she hasn't even had it yet. She just seems totally normal, no smell or signs of sickness. Hope I'm right.
If she had something other than mucus hanging out and touching the ground, somethings up..
What is her vulva doing? if its still puffy like they are before they calve, its still in there...if its smaller and going back to normal, its out or dead inside...

I'm thinking she must have had it and it fell in the pond and it just never came back up for some reason. She shows no signs of sickness and is just fine. Out of our 30 cows that are now calving 20 have calved and we've lost 3, two of those were from heifers. If the remaining 10 calve successfully those 3 are headed out of here. IMO with just 30 cows they all need to calve or hit the road.

Latest posts