Calving started for me.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We have been busy with new babies. We had 15 due (out of our 30 potentially due) from 1-1 to 1-6. We have 10 on the ground. Slowing down now.
This heifer calved on 1.1 and turns 2 yrs today.

We have been busy with new babies. We had 15 due (out of our 30 potentially due) from 1-1 to 1-6. We have 10 on the ground. Slowing down now.
Wow, that is a nice pair!

This 2 yr old is a beast. Her mom is a BIG cow. One of the 3 kids I sponsor in 4H showed this female (Java) as a calf and this past year as a bred yearling. We never let her get fat, but she was a beast when it came to feeding. She constantly gulped her feed down and tried everything she could do to get the "neighbors" feed in the show string. She actually tore down some boards at the fair. We got a lot of laughs with her.

How old was he in this video, Jeanne? No question of him being a healthy baby! Feisty little booger, ain't he? :)

Merry Christmas from the Cows at Simme Valley 2...
How old was he in this video, Jeanne? No question of him being a healthy baby! Feisty little booger, ain't he? :)
Less than 12 hours old. We had not "processed" him yet. He weighed 94#. Which, to some of you sounds awfully big, but he is average. We castrate all males over 99#. This is a 2 yr old and spit him out. She is a big 2 year old. Actually, she calved right on 1/1 and turned 2 today 1/4.

Oh, I didn't mean to put the "Merry Christmas" card on here. I posted it on another thread. But, it is very entertaining. Created by "my kids" (4H family I sponsor - starting the 6th year)

Merry Christmas from the Cows at Simme Valley 2...

Less than 12 hours old. We had not "processed" him yet. He weighed 94#. Which, to some of you sounds awfully big, but he is average. We castrate all males over 99#. This is a 2 yr old and spit him out. She is a big 2 year old. Actually, she calved right on 1/1 and turned 2 today 1/4.
I like him! The heifer, too! Would love to have a herd of commercial BWF Simms just like her! Of course, down here, ( and don't hate me for saying this) I'd probably use Brangus on them! :) I was looking at all of your pics on your FB pages. Do y'all have any of the old-timey red & white Simmes these days? Or does anyone have them much anymore? Looking at your cows, I can see why people might not have them any more. I hated those bulls, but damn were those old red & whites some hellacious momma cows. Do you collect any of your bulls and ship semen? Or do it through an AI company?

I like him! The heifer, too! Would love to have a herd of commercial BWF Simms just like her! Of course, down here, ( and don't hate me for saying this) I'd probably use Brangus on them! :) I was looking at all of your pics on your FB pages. Do y'all have any of the old-timey red & white Simmes these days? Or does anyone have them much anymore? Looking at your cows, I can see why people might not have them any more. I hated those bulls, but damn were those old red & whites some hellacious momma cows. Do you collect any of your bulls and ship semen? Or do it through an AI company?
Warren, I have a little over 1/3 of my herd is red, but not the SPOTTED ones. Red with white faces, socks, tail, bellie, but no spots right now. The spotting gene is recessive and we bred against spots because of the industry discount (feedlot). So, difficult to come up with both parents carrying the spotting gene AND both pass it on. Spotted Simmies are getting more popular because they are so eye catching. If we breed a WF to a WF, all bars are down. You might get full white bellie, socks all the way up, full tail and face. Might not get the spots, but you may get more white than you wish for. Obviously, I love the REDS.
The bull in my avatar was a bull I raised and collected. Hauled him out to Ohio Beef Expo and 2 semen companies signed him up. Sold many thousands of semen thru Cattle Vision and SEK Genetics. I still use him. He was the first black Simmental bull I ever bred to -born 9-29-02. I have had black Simm since 1970 because I had some commercial black cows. Black is a VERY dominant gene.

Warren, I have a little over 1/3 of my herd is red, but not the SPOTTED ones. Red with white faces, socks, tail, bellie, but no spots right now. The spotting gene is recessive and we bred against spots because of the industry discount (feedlot). So, difficult to come up with both parents carrying the spotting gene AND both pass it on. Spotted Simmies are getting more popular because they are so eye catching. If we breed a WF to a WF, all bars are down. You might get full white bellie, socks all the way up, full tail and face. Might not get the spots, but you may get more white than you wish for. Obviously, I love the REDS.
The bull in my avatar was a bull I raised and collected. Hauled him out to Ohio Beef Expo and 2 semen companies signed him up. Sold many thousands of semen thru Cattle Vision and SEK Genetics. I still use him. He was the first black Simmental bull I ever bred to -born 9-29-02. I have had black Simm since 1970 because I had some commercial black cows. Black is a VERY dominant gene.
What red simm do you use for AI? I have two solid red cows, and two red angus/hereford cross cows that I would like to AI to something red.

What red simm do you use for AI? I have two solid red cows, and two red angus/hereford cross cows that I would like to AI to something red.
Finding a good red bull is a nightmare for me.
Have used some good ones over the years that are no longer available.
Currently, still using Kappes Pendleton, KBHR Sniper, Felts Last Call.
Also, use several Hetero Black bulls on Hetero Blk cows hoping for my 25% red.
Looking for new red bulls.
Might try SAS Infra Red
Cattle Visions has several reds. Most have too much front ends for my style.
HILB Royal Rumble looks good. I have used his sire for many years. Might try him.
Some look pretty, but don't have the structure I want.

Latest posts