$%@#^* Calving Season

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
Any one else having calving problems yet...

We started out with a ET calf, got up, sucked, all was well. Then we couldn't figure out why it so weak. Well, the mom only has one good quarter. So now we have a bottle baby. #2 was born in the cold, brought it into the warming pen with mom. Heater went out in it, baby got cold and slow, had to wrestle with him for a few days getting him to suck. Babies 3 & 4 came just fine. Then we had a cow abort twins that were about a month away from being due. Same day, we had another cow (great producer) deliver twins, both dead. Tried grafting ET baby to her, but that didn't go over well. Live calf #9 was born out in the pasture, she wasn't due for 2 more weeks, he's doing well (we got the warming pen heater working again). Good thing we caught her. Then this morning, a heifer had a calf (2 weeks early again) we tried for a long time on him, but he was too far gone. :bang:

Any one else having calves come early? I hope we are the only ones having these problems. Hopefully the next 150 aren't the same.

Good luck to all!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. When was/is the first one supposed to be due from the AI or bull-in date? There seem to be a number of early calves and twins aborting etc. on the board here.

Jim

I believe, off the top of my head, the first one due to AI was this week sometime. So far, everything has been early. The early bull was put in mid-May, so everything so far is AI.

Very early calving for me - from a super surprise 4 months early to an average of a week early. Only 2 came at 283 days and none were past that.

we have 10 since the 8th and one drown in the pond, fell thru the ice , we never have much ice. that is not what i want to find, put a calf on her and well not sure if she will take it. 4 were first calf heifers and i have 5 more heifers to go, the vet preg'd the heifers, he is usually really close, the first one hasn't calved yet, the last one calved third so it is unpredictable. sorry about your early calves and all the trouble. ours are early the bulls would not stay out.

I'm fast approaching the dreaded time of the year when the dead twins usually show up. The projected start date is Feb. 25 and it seems like if there are going to be problems they show up around Valentines Day.

Got 3 on the ground so far. 1 last week, and 1 yesterday, and 1 today. No problems. Had a set of twins in Oct, and they're still doing fine. A little small, but mama still appears to have enough milk for both of them. Keeping my fingers crossed, maybe my luck will continue.

SRBeef":36ls6jez said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. When was/is the first one supposed to be due from the AI or bull-in date? There seem to be a number of early calves and twins aborting etc. on the board here.

Jim
I hope to heck this isn't going to be the "trend" this year!!!! Yikes.

I'm supposed to start this Thursday. Got 7 on the ground and 6 cows in the calving pen. Foot of snow on the ground. Expect about 80 more in the next 30 days. gs

Dylan Biggs":kjrasj9b said:
plumber_greg":kjrasj9b said:
I'm supposed to start this Thursday. Got 7 on the ground and 6 cows in the calving pen. Foot of snow on the ground. Expect about 80 more in the next 30 days. gs

80 feet. Holy crap that's a lot of snow! :D :D

Good luck with calving!

80 feet on the ground, that's only 20 calves ....... or is 10 calves and 10 momma's?

This thread needed lightened up and Dylan started.....

I hope my calving season isn't jinxed.

Alan

We had another early one today (about 10 days early), healthy bull calf. Maybe this will be the turn around and it'll be smooth sailing ( I wish :roll: ). Makes me wonder if the extreme cold we've been having is making them come early. I just hope the neighbor's bull didn't jump the fence again this year. That dang thing made us have a 6 month calving season last year.

Man, it pays to check in on here - I was feeling bad about our start - not any more! You really went thru the wringer.
We had an ET red heifer calf born - only 3 days early (most everything has been late here) but she was skinny and only 46# - lived 2 days. Recip was a heifer in almost too good BCS ?? starving calf?
Had a hfr/bull set of twins born 10 days early outside during blizzard - both dead - DOA or froze don't know, don't care - they're dead. Dam showed no sign the evening before, because I put anything that LOOKS close in the barn at night. Dang, I hate to lose calves.
5 bulls 4 heifers up & running so far with 16 "on deck" outside my window (due from late to next 15 days). 8 are close looking & were in the barn last night.
Angus9259 -"super surprise 4 months early" - obviously that one was aborted DOA???

Alan":1xxn41nd said:
Dylan Biggs":1xxn41nd said:
plumber_greg":1xxn41nd said:

80 feet. Holy crap that's a lot of snow! :D :D

Good luck with calving!

80 feet on the ground, that's only 20 calves ....... or is 10 calves and 10 momma's?

This thread needed lightened up and Dylan started.....

I hope my calving season isn't jinxed.

Alan
:lol: :clap:

I hope everyone has an uneventful calving season, including me. Good luck to you all. :tiphat:

Showing ,I hope your season takes a turn for the better soon . Sucks about the recip, but you at least got a live calf out of her . :)

My main concern here is the feed situation, we have tons of it ,but it is crap, except for the green feed. I am supplementing with 20% protein tubs and 35 head went through a 110 lb tub in 4 days ,and they haven't even calved yet. :???:

Jeanne- at least my problems can make you feel a little better :D .

We'll have to make this the "unofficial" calving gripes topic.

showing71":bp9722vk said:
Jeanne- at least my problems can make you feel a little better :D .

We'll have to make this the "unofficial" calving gripes topic.
Yeah, I decided our problems were a walk in the park compared to yours. Hopefully they are all behind us.
I always expect problems to start about 2 weeks prior to 1st one due. Actually, had 1st born up & going before $h%! hit the fan.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3vnuty07 said:
Angus9259 -"super surprise 4 months early" - obviously that one was aborted DOA???

Nope. Alive and kicking. No special handling or anything. Momma bagged up just like she knew it was happening. I have no explanation. I went back and recalculated thing a hundred times in disbelief.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=66900

angus9259":4c8pgcjn said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":4c8pgcjn said:

Nope. Alive and kicking. No special handling or anything. Momma bagged up just like she knew it was happening. I have no explanation. I went back and recalculated thing a hundred times in disbelief.

4 weeks early. Big difference from 4 months.

novaman":1pttntum said:
angus9259":1pttntum said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1pttntum said:

4 weeks early. Big difference from 4 months.
OK - 4 WEEKS according to you previous "thread" - NOT 4 MONTHS!!! big difference is correct.

Latest posts