Calving Season

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Calving season is about 2/3 of the way through for us. So far, we have had 9 bull calves and 10 heifer calves. We still have 8 left to go. Three of the bred cows look really close to calving and a handful of the others are due to calve on April 10th. Four of the calves were AI sired. I think that this will be one of the best, if not the best, calf crop that we have had. Below are a few photos from the past few weeks.
This bull calf was 86 lbs at birth and is AI sired. His dam was born in 2007; this is her 5th consecutive bull calf. He was extremely leggy at birth with little depth to him. He is pictured at 11 days in the photo below. He has deepened significantly since he was born. His sire is Wallawong Under the Radar.
601_Bull_11_days_.jpg

This next bull calf is pictured at 12 days of age. He was 90 lbs at birth and out of a 5 year old cow. He is also AI sired and out of a bull born in 1972, Cadella Park Golden Boy.
603_Bull_12_days_.jpg

I am really eager to see how this bull grows out. He is just 11 days old in the photo below. His birth weight was 84 lbs. His mother is the easiest keeping cow in our herd.
605_Bull_11_days_.jpg

This heifer was born on February 26. She was 74 lbs at birth and is pictured here at 15 days of age. Her dam was born in 2011 and she is one of our better cows.
604_Heifer_15_days_.jpg

This next heifer is out of a 2011 model. She is pictured here at 12 days of age. I really like her width, depth, and her femininity. She was 76 lbs at birth.
612_Heifer_11_days_.jpg

This last photo shows a 6 year old cow. She will be calving within the next week or so. She is one of my favorites, so I thought that I would put her on here.
OK_Honey_Comb_6_years_.jpg

Might just be the way he's standing at the time, but I don't like the look of the hind legs on the first calf... The rest are all really nice!
Hopefully they live up to the expectations and stay good and healthy.

I just passed the halfway mark on calving season... 12 down 11 to go, 7 heifers 5 bulls, and all but one of the heifers are replacement material so far

Very nice. I like your cow and calves very much. They are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

WalnutCrest":13wzp0gp said:
Nice calves and nice cow.

605 seems like he's got an onery look about him!
604 is my pick of the litter
612 ... love the feminity

Thank you for the feedback everyone! We now have 11 heifer calves and 10 bulls on the ground.The 604 heifer is one of my favorites too. Her mother is another one of my favorite cows. This is the mother of the 604 heifer. She is a full sibling to the 41 cow in my above post. She is 5 years old this year.
OK_Bee_Happy_4_5_years_4_.jpg