Calving season supplys, etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Tips for calving season
Mar 22, 2009 7:04 PM, Source: UNL Beef Cattle Production; By: Rick Rasby, Ph.D.

February, March, and April are heavy calving months, and management decisions during this period will have dramatic effects on the operation's productivity.

February, March, and April are heavy calving months, and management decisions during this period will have dramatic effects on the operation's productivity. Following are tips during this busy time of year.

Assemble supplies and equipment

Warm water supply
Plastic sleeves
Obstetrical lube
Halter, cow restraint mechanisms
Obstetrical chains
Fetal extractor
Ear tags and applicator
Tatoo set and ink
Frozen colostrum
Calf feeding bottle/esophageal feeder
Iodine to treat navels
Birthweight scales
Provide calving facilities
Sheltered area for pulling calves
Clean bedding
Comfortable maternity pens
Sufficient lighting
Facilities for warming chilled calves
Electrolytes for dehydrated calves
Dealing with a scour outbreak

Sometimes, no matter how many preventive measures you take, calf scours show up in the best-managed herds. "Still, you should be prepared for an outbreak every year, developing a program with your veterinarian focusing on detection, isolation, diagnosis and treatment."

Pre-plan a course of action with your veterinarian and implement it immediately when the first case occurs.
Isolate affected calves immediately and do not expose healthy calves since scours organisms are highly contagious and spread rapidly through contact and even inhalation.
Identify the causative organism. Your veterinarian may recommend sampling the stool of a sick calf to culture and identify the causative organism.
Prevent dehydration, since this is usually the most immediate concern with scours. Your veterinarian can outline a fluid therapy to be used.

All products and tools should be on hand well in advance of the calving season.

Thanks for the useful post. I have a Tupperware tub containing all my obstetric supplies that goes with me either in the pickup or Mule whenever I check cows. Getting them up ahead of time is always a good idea but sometimes they will surprise you a little bit, especially first calf heifers.

Latest posts