Calving season 2014 for me

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, 1 left to go now, Alma, a 10 year old had a nice 100ish lb bull calf in good time, a half hour or so after I checked on her and saw the water bag he was there and licked off, I think she was just waiting for a cooler day to do it!... 293 days gestation I knew it was going to be a bull calf, so that makes 15 bulls and 7 heifers, one left to go, and I'd be happy if she had a bull too,.. shes probably got another 2 weeks to go or so... starting to bag up now. I'll try and post a pic of the 2 recent ones soon

Here's some pictures... He's a big guy!
20140718_161556_zpsf8a5500c.jpg

20140718_161248_zps60467dbd.jpg

OK, now for the pictures of the rest of the guys, I weaned most all of them except the young'uns, and my replacement heifers.

Cenci and Lester.. He didn't grow as well as her first calf, but he sure had meat on him

Yearling brother to Lester, he's Gruber (anyone remember where those names are from?)

"Springy", a incorrigible milk thief when she was young, despite having lots at home. One of the replacements

This one didn't make the grade for a replacement, thoroughly unimpressive throughout. I have 2 sisters though

The real dink of the year, I think she may have had something wrong with her digestion or something.. either way, I'm expecting a better performance from her mother next year

another that I didn't like too much, cat hammed, and also thoroughly unimpressive, though she did grow well

This one was a last minute decision to keep as a replacement. Her sisters weren't very good (one is mother to the above heifer), and the other was a worse failure than the mother of that white faced heifer. Her sisters had a different father though, so I'll take a chance at least for a while on her.

Allaround, my favourite replacement heifer "Tifa", She's a little smaller than the other two (didn't steal milk), but will grow to a smaller mature size as well. I find she has the nicest shape, a cylindrical chest that isn't pinched at either end, and a nice back. She has a little mischievious devil attitude,.. the kind that will untuck your shirt, steal your hat, and inspect every staple you put into a fence.

And here's the little baby born just after my bday, she actually looks pretty snazzy too.. exactly a month old

I forgot my fat steer Lazyboy, I keep him to see how he grows, I think he should be some very good eats like his uncle/brother Joules was (butcher said it was the nicest meat he'd ever seen) at about 30 months. What's good about him is he's darned easy to handle.. never had a halter on (yet) but I think he'd get used to it in a couple minutes

Latest posts