Calving season 2012 for me

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I haven't had the first calf yet, but I'm getting ready for them, setting up the calving area electric fences, looking for my needles, syringes, tags, bands, iodine, chains and all that stuff.

Today I was vaccinating (scourgard) in the field, I got 16 of 20 cows, while the 4 that got away (one in particular) seem to know when it's that time of year and must be able to smell the vaccine and know they're getting a poke in the butt, they stay 30 feet away from me and keep a watch on me from the corner of their eye. I only broke 2 syringes (the cold makes them brittle) until maybe I got the hang of doing it again... didn't lose any needles though (whew). If I have any leftover vaccine I'm going to give my yearling heifers a shot, which saves me from giving them 2 shots 3 weeks apart next year, it's worked for us so far

The cows are getting pretty heavy now, but I'm wondering about some of the observed breeding dates I have... For example my 5S heifer (Mega) is supposedly due Mar 28th, but it's looking more like march 10th to me at this point, she's already got pudding-butt and has a good gallon or two worth of udder. Meanwhile the other heifer seems to be a week or two later and was bred a week earlier (so I've probably got her time right). Most of the cows aren't showing any signs yet, which is another puzzle for me since they usually show more than heifers do.

I know many (most even) of you have already started calving... hope everyone has a good one, I know there were a couple people with a lot of nightmares last year.

It's about zero degrees F tonight with a strong wind - not anywhere near calving weather yet so please don't give mine any ideas! April will come soon enough. A couple are looking real wide real early though. Good luck with yours.

Jim

I've got 6 on the ground and 8 pened up ready to pop! I was worried about last summers heat but it looks like the girls are bred.

I've got 20 on the ground 5 to go for spring and 25 around July . Its to hot here for summer calving but I bought cows that were spread out all year so I tried to condense the calving season with out losing a year .

Not to nitpick, but since this is 2012 I hope you're not giving your cattle vaccinations in the butt. Yes, 30 years ago I used to do it that way too like everyone else, but no more.

As beef producers I think we should strive to maintain and market the highest quality beef at every opportunity. Giving vaccinations in the rump area just doesn't mesh with BQA guidelines. Once a guy gets used to giving vaccinations in the neck it's really not any harder than the rump, and maintains the reputation of our product.

Good luck with your calving. It has been good weather for it all winter here.

I do give them in the rump, because any cow that leaves our place is a cull. it's also the only place I can get to while they're eating without me noticing them, since the corrals are a quite a distance away... if I have to give a calf or yearling a shot (very rare), they do get it in the neck.

On another note, I felt kicking inside a few bellies over the last few days... little guys are announcing their presence :)

OK, got to taking a couple pictures today, Here's my #5S heifer, after breakfast. If my breeding dates are right, she's got 4 weeks to go (I really hope my breeding dates are wrong)

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

Nesikep":180p7n91 said:
I do give them in the rump, because any cow that leaves our place is a cull. it's also the only place I can get to while they're eating without me noticing them, since the corrals are a quite a distance away... if I have to give a calf or yearling a shot (very rare), they do get it in the neck.

On another note, I felt kicking inside a few bellies over the last few days... little guys are announcing their presence :)

You do know that your "cull cow" will be entering the food chain right? So saying it's ok because it's a cull cow when it leaves isn't really a good excuse.

Well, I brought my "Mega" up from the field since she's a heifer and getting really heavy, I reviewed my breeding dates, and she was due to be in heat 3 days after the bull was released, somehow I didn't see that and somehow the bulls were after her 2 weeks later, either way, I'm quite certain she's among the first. by next week I should have a couple little ones

Kathie, did you have a beautiful day on Sunday and miserable weather on Monday? I was out in a T shirt sunday, I got the corrals cleaned nicely, and I woke up monday it was snowing again, it's just below freezing now. The humidity meter was showing 100% RH this morning.. I took the opportunity to douse some of the cows and calves with a delousing shampoo since they were all soggy anyhow

Nesikep":lkv48pgj said:
Well, I brought my "Mega" up from the field since she's a heifer and getting really heavy, I reviewed my breeding dates, and she was due to be in heat 3 days after the bull was released, somehow I didn't see that and somehow the bulls were after her 2 weeks later, either way, I'm quite certain she's among the first. by next week I should have a couple little ones

Kathie, did you have a beautiful day on Sunday and miserable weather on Monday? I was out in a T shirt sunday, I got the corrals cleaned nicely, and I woke up monday it was snowing again, it's just below freezing now. The humidity meter was showing 100% RH this morning.. I took the opportunity to douse some of the cows and calves with a delousing shampoo since they were all soggy anyhow
Both days on the weekend were nice, Nesi -- sunshine and 60 degrees. Monday, not so good. A lot cooler, major wind, and we got a skiff of snow last night. Frost on everthing early this morning. Was just outside a few minutes ago, where the sun is out, but the wind is still whoofing and it's definitely coat weather. Lots of new calves on the ground around the neighborhood.

Our neighbour across the river said he's pretty much done calving, but we are about to start, and another neighbour to the north of us a couple miles has had 3 calves (of about 80) for a month... they must have been from cows he bought, or his bulls escaped. I had to make a trip to the big smoke for the night, headed back up tomorrow, hopefully they all keep them inside until then.

Well, we had our first calf yesterday morning, He's about an 80 lb bull calf, cute as a button... Mother didn't do all that well in the licking department, but she did very well as far as cooperation.. didn't lift a leg as I cleared out the teats and got him started. And going back to the subject of cows not bagging up this year... This one had milk, but the udder definitely wasn't anywhere near as full as I've seen

Mega still hasn't calved yet, but she's bagging up. I've put her on a diet since she wants to do nothing but eat, a half bale a day if I let her... she's at 288 days, so I figure tomorrow might be the day... and it's just as well, it was a miserable day here today, windy, snow (4"), sleet, and now it's raining. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day though.

Nesikep":2p7qz5bb said:
Well, we had our first calf yesterday morning, He's about an 80 lb bull calf, cute as a button... Mother didn't do all that well in the licking department, but she did very well as far as cooperation.. didn't lift a leg as I cleared out the teats and got him started. And going back to the subject of cows not bagging up this year... This one had milk, but the udder definitely wasn't anywhere near as full as I've seen

Mega still hasn't calved yet, but she's bagging up. I've put her on a diet since she wants to do nothing but eat, a half bale a day if I let her... she's at 288 days, so I figure tomorrow might be the day... and it's just as well, it was a miserable day here today, windy, snow (4"), sleet, and now it's raining. Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day though.
Rained here yesterday, Nesi, and then snowed all day today. It's too warm for it to stick for very long.

I hear there may be more coming tonight, lets hope not, I don't want 20 calves born in muck, and I'm pretty sure we've all had that happen at somepoint. Now to go home and see if Mega has decided on action or not

Well, so much for what I wanted!... We had a couple inches of rain over the last couple days, the corrals are a total soup. Without fail, that's when things will go wrong, which brings me to an 8 year old cow with a breach birth who lost her water at about 8 am, there was no progress by 10 am, so I went in for an exploration, and found that the hind legs were both facing forward, so down the headgate she goes, and I fiddle around for a while, without luck, call the vet and a couple neighbours for ideas, I didn't like the idea of bringing the vet in, as we're nearly 2 hours one way from his office, I also didn't like the idea of bringing her to him, spending $500 on a C section, and quite possibly not having a live calf (She was 9 days early). So I decided to go in there once more and try to get it all righted, which I did get after about 20 minutes in there up to my shoulder, got the calf out, but it was already dead.. don't know why though.

Despite the outcome wasn't as good as it could be, I didn't have to spend money for it, and the cow seems OK for now, I'm going to give her some boluses tomorrow if she hasn't lost the placenta. I did milk out 3 gallons of good colostrum, which is always handy. Meanwhile one of my friends has a dairy farmer near him who sells fresh Holstein bull calves for $30, and he'll probably be bringing me one on monday morning to graft on this cow.

Anyone in canada know where I can get OhNoMo? The cow's going to know just by looking at it that it can't be hers!

So, I have gained experience (they say you get that from bad ones), and that to never believe the diagrams of how to fix a calf with a leg backward. The diagram shows the guy into the cow up to his elbow and grabbing the hoof of the calf... Either he's 8 feet tall or it's s dexter cow, I was in there well up to my shoulder and could *just* get the chains over the hooves. After it was all said and done, I had one warm arm and one that was frozen, the calving chains left marks on my cold wrist that lasted hours.

No, Mega has not calved yet (I think she's at 292ish days now), but she is close, the bag pretty filled.

As Murphy's law would have it, she will have twins an hour after I graft the Holstein calf on the wet cow!

Here's to hoping the rest of the season goes well

Breech delivery: pull the hock up as far as you can by hand until you can reach the hoof. Cup your hand under the hoof to protect the cow's uterus from snagging on the toes and tearing. Pull the hoof with that hand up and toward the center of the calf until it pops up over the pelvic floor then the leg should be able to be extended backward. The hardest part of a breech is getting the hock up far enough to be able to reach that foot. Once you have the foot you are golden.

Go to your vet and get a bottle of oxytocin. This works great in those hard to pull calves. It gets her to dialate more.
Hind legs pointing up..the calf comes out over the top of the back of the cow.
Our vet recommends Oxytocin for any hard pulls. The idea is will help her to clean as well by keeping her dialated. Do not give boluses to the cow, instead if the oxy does not work start her on lute.

RP....as per our vets calving manual she puts out each year...

Cows should normally expel their placenta within 6-12 hours. Risk factors that may increas incidence if R include: abortion, Csection, twins, previous RP, Vit E/ selenium deficiency, vit A/D dificiency, calcium/phosphorus deficiency, feeding silage and difficulty calving. Good nutrition greaty decreases RP (trace minerals). The objectives for treatments of RP is to cause early detachment of the RP to prevent uterine infections, decreased milk production and decreased reproductive efficiency.

RP will ususally come out without any treatment within 4-7 days. However if the cow appeaers sick or has a fever, she will need treatment

Treatment:

* Oxytocin: Give to ay high risk cow and when cown has not cleaned after 6 hours. 5cc IM then 5cc every 4 hours [Max 4 teatments per day] for the first 48 hours. Effectiveness decreases after 48 hours
* WE do not recommend antiboitics for treatment of RP in healthy cows during the first 3-4 days of calving. Antiboiotics will prolong the rp. Reason: Bacteria helps breakdown the placenta allowing it to pull away fromthe buttons in the uterus. Antiboitics kill these bacteria, leaving nothing to help breakdown the placenta attachment
* Lutalyse may be necessary in prolong cases. If the cow has not cleaned after 3 days, give 5 cc IM. It will not help remove RP ut iwll cause the cervix to open which helps prevent infection from becoming trapped in a closed uterus.
*Pen or Oxyvet LP and flunazine are necssary incases where the cow becomes sick (depressed, off feed, fevered). 60cc pen or 100cc oxyvet IM for 3-5 days and 20cc flunazine for 3 days.
* antiboiotics may be started after three days in a health cow if he has not cleanded to help prevent infection of the uterine wall. This may however cause her to retain longe. The benifits myst be weighed with the risks and take into account your previous experience RP in you herd.
*other things to consider are flushing the uterus and instilling an antiboitic called Mericure. This must be done by a VET to avoid damanging the fragile uterus.
*calcium status is also improtant for cleaning, if the cow is weak consider giving IV calcium

As for your hiefer, hiefers bag forever and a day. Remember the hiefer will eat alot because not only is she growing but growing a calf and in the last 5 weeks of gestation producing colostrum. Make sure her diet is not too restrictive. Highest nutrition needs in the year is in the last 3 months of gestation. This is when she builds colosturm and gets reserves in her body to use when milking so she breeds back on time. That hiefer is none to fat in the pics. Restricting her now could kick you in the butt at breed back

Needed to do a separate post for this one

Bringing in calves during calving especially dairy calves is a recipe for disaster. If you thought murphy's law was bad before...Just wait. Train wreck will follow. Can include but not limited to...serious scours issues in the whole herd. Higher risk of BVD infections, and Johnes.

Even a vaccinated herd can be suseptable to this problem. If the scour bugs reach threshold no amount of vaccine will stop the wreck.

Dairy and beef bugs are the same and yet very different strains.

Strains also vary between herds.

Any new animals brought on farm should be quarantined pre and during calving for the safety of the herd. It is called BIO SECURITY.

Finally, as a preventative, the herd should be closed from strangers who calve on their own farms. If they do come on farm, precautions should be taken. Clean disinfected boots, and clean coveralls, dung and mud free vehicles. Cross contamination is very helpful to murphy's law

Latest posts