"Calving season 2010" article . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
The cold weather calving season article on this website suggests limit feeding pregnant cows prior to calving will reduce birthweights and minimize dystocia. It has been proven that limit feeding cattle will reduce birthweights, but it's also been proven that it will actually INCREASE dystocia even at LOWER birthweights. Don't forget to feed those cows in late term pregnancy!

you are right, limiting nutrition in late pregnancy actually contributes to more dystocia, because it causes more malpresentations. Simply put, the calf has to turn itself into the correct birthing position. If he doesnt have enough energy because mum doesnt have enough food, he will be in the wrong position, equalling dystocia

But at the same time- if your cows are butcher fat you will also end up with presentation problems and dystocia....
Thats the reason moderation in everything pays off.....
I like to see my cows with a BCS score of between 5 and 6 at calving..

A good reason to know what you're putting into your cattle instead of just saying "I've gotit..I gotta feed it".

Like everything you need a happy balance. The winter of 2008-09 was bitterly cold and very long and the cows consumed an exorbitant amount of hay. The birth weights were up a bit, but none needed assistance during calving. I also believe your mineral program is as important as their feed program is and that winter they went through almost twice as much as they normally do.

Latest posts