Calving Question

Help Support CattleToday:

CoWdUnG

Reaction score
Question...I have a bull that is solid black except for the under belly which has a patch of white...My question is: Will the bull's calf's come out solid black or solid black with some white?? Thanks in advance....The moms would be a mixture of Hereford,Red Angus, Limo, and Black Angus...

CoWdUnG":26uqsat2 said:
Question...I have a bull that is solid black except for the under belly which has a patch of white...My question is: Will the bull's calf's come out solid black or solid black with some white?? Thanks in advance....The moms would be a mixture of Hereford,Red Angus, Limo, and Black Angus...

That's a hard question. Is the bull homozygous black? Is he registered with any breed association? If you have his papers, that might give you a hint about his calves. Black is dominant, but if he's carrying a red gene and bred to red cows, he will give you some red calves. And then there are spots.....

CoWdUnG":17evtpm3 said:
The Bull is a cross: The dad being A Register Black Angus and the mom being Red Limo...

Registered Red Limi? If so, he likely got a red gene from her. So when you breed him to red cows, you'll get some red calves, maybe even out of the black cows if they're also carrying a red gene.

CoWdUnG":ryucnyix said:

I would thinkl you could just get about any color with that combination, but you have red genes coming out of 3 of the 4 breeds so I will go for red.

CoWdUnG":261u0ecv said:
Will the bull's calf's come out solid black or solid black with some white?? Thanks in advance....The moms would be a mixture of Hereford,Red Angus, Limo, and Black Angus...
With a mixture like that just castrate the calf and don't get any calves by him. There are to many mongrels already.

That must be some great calf to keep him a bull.
Soundl like you have a real mixture of genetics there. IMO the offspring would be red when paired with a red, black when paired with a black and baldys when paired with the herf.
With a gene pool like that you could be anybody's guess...when the recessive genes hook up who knows what will happen.
Just my two bits worth.
DMc

I don't think I've ever seen a Limo with white either, so no doubt there is something else in his genetic makeup. Of course, depending on what that "something else" is would go a long way towards determining if he'll throw white on your calves. Judging by the cow herd, I would suspect you'll get quite a bit of white on your calves.

Latest posts