Calving issue

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
The ai heifers started today first 2 no problem but another was ai 4 days later is holding her tail up all afternoon I put her in headgate and checked her but she is still tight and cant get in farther than wrist any ideas? :help:

is she "loose in the caboose"? if she isn't, I'd start to be concerned about a uterine torsion... especially if it looks like the vulva is retracting.. Just a thought to look out for.. you wanted ideas? :)

Go in rectally and see what you can feel from there . It is always best to go rectally first unless you see definite signs of calving like a nose ,foot/feet ,tail, bum etc.

If you are still unsure then it is time to call in your vet .

Good luck .

She might not be calving yet. Just feeling uncomfortable. I've seen a few like that, you're sure that they are going to calve, they don't do anything more than hold their tail up and wander around all day, but when you check them out they aren't dialated or anything.

randiliana":v7o8o0t3 said:
She might not be calving yet. Just feeling uncomfortable. I've seen a few like that, you're sure that they are going to calve, they don't do anything more than hold their tail up and wander around all day, but when you check them out they aren't dialated or anything.
We had one last year that had the pump hanlde tail all day, but she was a month away from calving (AI). Checked her and she wasn't dilated at ll, vet checked her and she had a couple day dead calf in her.

Thanks for the help, people here is the result I guess she just didn't want to open up.3 hours later I went to check and there he was she must have opened up in a hurry.I had phoned the vet and she said if it was a torsion I would still get in farther and feel a twist,but all ended well a 87lb bull calf from HC Mists return nice calf.

He has a small lump under his jaw but it is all soft

Latest posts