Calving 2023

Help Support CattleToday:

Every time that type of weather rolls around, its like keep em n there a bit longer bessie🤪
Gorgeous scenery, n great cows that dont seem TOO bothered by it❄️❄️🐂❄️
That's true! Don't want any calves born in the middle of the storm.
Some actually were quite bothered, but some just layed down facing the wind and seemed to not be affected at all 🤦‍♀️

20230307_153804.jpg
Abit more pleasant weather today!
20230307_153743.jpg
Parthenaise calf is still healing his wound, but it shouldn't be long until he will be fully recovered.

Done some necessary procedures for one of the cows. She went really lame this winter and it was getting even worse recently. Due in April, so tried to wait until she calves, but it became an emergency when she would rather stay on her front knees than stand up on her front feet.
received_5834112816684395.jpeg
20230306_155351.jpg
Put blocks on both front feet and she was walking way way more right after we let her out of the crush.

Had a newborn born today. Not from the cow, which I expected 🤦‍♀️
278 days gestation, heifer, sired by culard charolais bull. Would say not more than 85lbs. Her dam already managed to nearly kill her by laying down on her. Fortunatelly came in time and got the calf out of the cow. She was already gasping for air. Another minute and this post would have had darker colours.
20230308_113625.jpg
The sire
Screenshot_20230308-120854_Samsung Internet.jpg

20230311_040431.jpg
20230311_040635.jpg
Most fresh arrival. Born at around 3:30am. 296 days gestation, bull calf, sored by easy calving parthenaise. The first calf by his sire here and thw fourth calf for his dam. More photos to follow tomorrow with bw. Fed some colostrum and now off to sleep.
The sire:
Have angusx first calver due to him on the 20th of this month.

Probably the right call on the heifer . Dang , I hate losing one ! Had a cow that calved this week . I have looked and looked for her calf . She's one that stays right with her new born . No signs of being nursed . Just doesn't feel right so I know she lost it .

Photos of post mortem.
Liver malfunction, bright orange colour and the whole inside of the calf was yellow coloured. Pretty sure it wasn't due to her dam laying on her.
20230311_125128.jpg
Her bladder also looks way too thick and seems to have an edema.
20230311_124610.jpg

Also a question to knowledgable people. What are those vessel like structures going alongside of two sides of the bladder. Both were full of blood and with closed ends. So either I don't remember something from anatomy, or those shouldn't be looking like that.
Screenshot_20230311-190837_Gallery.jpg

No noticable internal injuries from her dam.

Photos of post mortem.
Liver malfunction, bright orange colour and the whole inside of the calf was yellow coloured. Pretty sure it wasn't due to her dam laying on her.
View attachment 27402
Her bladder also looks way too thick and seems to have an edema.
View attachment 27404

Also a question to knowledgable people. What are those vessel like structures going alongside of two sides of the bladder. Both were full of blood and with closed ends. So either I don't remember something from anatomy, or those shouldn't be looking like that.
View attachment 27405

No noticable internal injuries from her dam.

How is jaundice treated? Jaundice is not a disease but rather a sign that disease is present. Therefore, there is not a specific treatment for jaundice. Jaundice will resolve when the disease that causes itself is cured.

Latest posts