calves stealing milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
I have 8 heifers that I retained last year in a small barn corral. 4 of the heifers have calved, and one looks close. The heifer that is close was bagged up pretty heavy, but then I noticed that she is allowing the other's calfs nurse her. Should I seperate her or is this ok? I was wondering if her new calf won't have any colostrum or maybe the heifer won't claim her calf if she begins to adopt one of the other calfs.

Lazy M":1n41lkiv said:
I have 8 heifers that I retained last year in a small barn corral. 4 of the heifers have calved, and one looks close. The heifer that is close was bagged up pretty heavy, but then I noticed that she is allowing the other's calfs nurse her. Should I seperate her or is this ok? I was wondering if her new calf won't have any colostrum or maybe the heifer won't claim her calf if she begins to adopt one of the other calfs.

I would separate her ASAP.

Since she has allowed the other calves to nurse then she probably will even after she has calved her own. The older calves will steal the milk her calf needs. You will probably have to always keep her separate or her baby will suffer.

I don't know if I really agree with that or not. Heifers are dumb, but usually by the second calf they get it all figured out. I know watching a bunch of heifers with young calves on them will drive anyone nuts. It's just a milk bonanza for any calf.....

Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and seperate her until a week or so after she calves. Hopefully once she gets used to her calf she'll be more selective about who she lets nurse..

Yep, separate her, If she's a good producer, later in life she should have enough milk for her own, and the occasional theft... It's not lost milk.. it's just extra weight on a different calf. Gotta make sure her calf gets enough when it's young. Around here there's a lot of milk stealing going arouind when the cows are all at the feed bunk and concentrated on eating... Last year I saw 2 calves both stealing from the other's mother, side by side. As long as it's in moderation, I don't think it's too big a deal... once they're on pasture it's a lot harder for them to steal milk too.

We surely beleive in seperateing those calved out from them that are waiting to calf,especially heifers as they are'nt real great colostrom producers. On older cow's we are'nt as concerned as real range cows will not usually allow much fooling around. I was told that a lot of exotics were not overly concerned whose calf nursed who , do'nt know as we only run the old english breeds.

Yes, I believe that I've spoken to Mr. Mears whenever I was first building up my herd. I didn't end up buying anything from him but I thought that he had good stock.

Lazy M":umg864sn said:
Yes, I believe that I've spoken to Mr. Mears whenever I was first building up my herd. I didn't end up buying anything from him but I thought that he had good stock.

We are very pleased with the bred heifers we bought from him. Of the 15 all but 1 calved within 45 days and the one that slipped her calf in January 2013 delivered a healthy bull calf in early November unassisted. In fact, none of the heifers needed any help.

Mr. Mears is a very interesting man. I enjoy just hearing him talk about raising cattle.

I think I would give her new calf a bottle of colostrum after it is born. You can't be sure how much milk the other calves have taken from her as it takes a long time for a cow or heifer to produce colostrum. If the other calves have nursed her down, it is gone. Just to be on the safe side, I would purchase a good quality brand.

Latest posts