Calves - Reds Blacks & blaze face

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Finally snapped a few pics of calves. We went from several feet of snow to 4 days of RAIN 40-50 F.
Than, back to freeze. Cattle got completely muddy & I made ruts everywhere - yuk.

Anyway, here's some calves.
Cow/calf pair. 3-year old cow with red Beef Maker heifer 2-12-09
3-09_Calves_P6S__calf_pix.jpg

Beef Maker red heifer born 2-1-09 - Black goggle eye Beef Maker bull born 2-14-09 (both out of 2-yr)
3-09_Calves_RT9W_red_pix.jpg

Macho As U bull calf w/ 2-yr old dam.
3-09_Calves_T2W_pix.jpg

Blaze face 3C Macho bull calf born 2-9-09
3-09_Calves_R9W_2_pix.jpg

Beef Maker red heifer born 2-12-09 (same one with dam above)
3-09_Calves_S6W_pix.jpg

Nice looking calves..I was looking at your ear tags and it made me think.Here i am in tennessee and my calves were born in jan and feb.and about half of my calves have some of their ear frozen off.You're in new york and i didn't notice any ear damage..

shanel":1nncsuum said:
Nice looking calves..I was looking at your ear tags and it made me think.Here i am in tennessee and my calves were born in jan and feb.and about half of my calves have some of their ear frozen off.You're in new york and i didn't notice any ear damage..
why don't you move you'r calving season up to spring

Jeanne,
Excellent calves as always! I especially like the Blaze Macho bull and the Beef Maker heifer (the one that has 2 pics). They look like they have decent muscle and bone already. I need to get pictures of mine taken this weekend. They are looking very promising.

Greatgerts - Thanks - that 3C Macho bull calf is on the Macho cow going in the Gettysburg sale.
Alactlman - thanks - I'm "assuming" you were referring to shanel about moving calving to spring. As far as our farm, I'd have to wait til May for decent conditions to calve with all our mud. March is pretty nasty. Go from subzero to mud to subzero again - weekly.
Angusbreeders & Bigbull - thanks for the comments.
It's so great watching them running & playing. Love it! Especially when they escape under the fence & get into a "smooth grassy field". That's what makes all the work worthwhile.

Nice calves! They are all very sturdy and look healthy. I especially like the first one. Looks like they don't have a problem with the weather!

We used WS Beef Maker (ABS bull) on most of the red heifers & some of the red cows. Also, we used him & other reds on our Heterozygous Black cows. Trying to build back up our numbers of reds. They were our oldest cows, and all of a sudden we realized we had culled/aged out most of our reds. Last year was the first year we used him. Super easy calving, lots of vigor & grow real well. We have some reds & blacks replacement heifers.
We used Red Caesar & Rezult. Calved 7 Beef Makers this year.

Only got 2, both bull calves. Very stout & thick. At this point I wouldn't put him on heifers. Our BW were very high this year, mostly due to the extreme cold winter (always cold but this one was worse). BW were 116 & 92#. To say the least the 116# bull will be a steer. Both came fast & easy & jumped right up & sucked. Neither cow had a history of extremely high BW's.

lovecows":3i4en3vl said:
How do you like your Red Caesars?

Had 2 bull calves out of him last year - one 115# one 125#. Biggest one is out of a cow that always has 100#+ BW, other one averages 80-90# most years. Last year BW on all calves up 10#. This year was even colder, makes me worried a little....

Anyhoo, the both had contracted tendons where I haven't had any in years. Straightened out ok. 125#er looneyer than a box of corn flakes. Dam has good disposition, no problems w/other calves. Nice looking boys, hated to castrate the lighter wt one, real sweetheart, beautiful calf, probably best simmi I've raised but that BW was too high. Was excited to castrate the nutty one (I guess now he's lost some of his nuts :lol2:)

Might use him again but it would be on a mature cow w/ proven low BW. Loved the looks just too heavy.

Best i know , no one has ever come up with a scientific reason. But i have heard it has to do with the blood flow of the cow. When it is cold the blood flow is increased to the intertnal organs(also fetus). Is that a roof of an old silo i see the calves coming out of in one of the pics?

Goodbeef - Yup - you're right. I was surprised that noone picked up on that.
I kept looking at the top of the silo, thinking "boy that would make a great calf shed". But couldn't figure out how to get it down without destroying it. Well, when the excavator demolished the silo, the top just came down, off to the side of all the blocks, landing right side up and just crinkled a few spots . We put chains around it & picked it up & placed it where it sits. Afterthought, we should have dug out the dirt & put down gravel. We might do that next year.
What a great calfshed! has rainproof airvents around the top. And my kind - CHEAP!

Latest posts