Calves on tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":1wqo6ck5 said:
callmefence":1wqo6ck5 said:
RanchMan90":1wqo6ck5 said:
How much are your tubs costing per pound?

I'm paying 80.00 for a 28percent pvm cooked tub. 225 pounds with about half protein coming from urea half natural.
I'm guilty of owning some tubs myself to get my cows to clean up some stockpiled grass. Sure is handy to not have to check them all week too. Broke out the first hay bale this weekend costing $1 per head per day, tubs are costing 63¢ per day. That's more than I can afford. Going to switch to 3 lbs of ddg per day for 30¢ a day to bring down costs with hay. Ddg is 28% protein also. Your oats doing well?

The dry spell has kept the oats short, but I've got a good thick stand in every field. I expect to be in good shape in a couple months. Didn't get much fall grazing though.
Dry standing grass is exactly where tubs shine. Kick out a tub per dozen head and forget about them for a couple weeks. Once the grass plays out and you have to start feeding hay you need to look for a different way for sure.

kenny thomas":pnqhrahq said:
Lots here feed candy in the mix. I still find it hard to feed it with the wrappers still on much of it. It's just my preception not actual facts.
Was gonna ask that,looked like some of it still in the wrapper???

ALACOWMAN":1snzjp26 said:
kenny thomas":1snzjp26 said:
Lots here feed candy in the mix. I still find it hard to feed it with the wrappers still on much of it. It's just my preception not actual facts.
Was gonna ask that,looked like some of it still in the wrapper???
All I've ever seen had been run through a grinder. The wrappers were still there but had been ground very small. Didn't seem to have any negative affects.

I pay for $90 for a 225lb 30% "all you need" cooked tub. Has a few more minerals than the usual tub. I don't feed a lot of them, just a few from mid Dec. until early Feb. My cows have young calves and I know my hay is only around 8 to 9 %.

I'm sure its not the cheapest way to go but my labor is valuable and its hard to feed cubes to more than a dozen animals to where they all get their share. Troughs are not feasible with the herd rotating every week to 10 days and cubes get mashed into the ground when its muddy. The calves lick the tubs right along side their mom. Gives both of them a healthier coat and seems to cut down on the snotty noses. They are worth it to me.

All of my cattle have access to 16% all natural tubs through the winter. Keeps them eating even the poorest bales and I know they are good in terms of protein. I pay $138 ($110 US) 200 lb. tub and generally lasts 2 weeks or a bit more in each group of 40 head or so. Spent about $1600 ($1300 US) on tubs last winter. I was crunching numbers yesterday and even with the cheapest screening pellets I can find at 9.5 cents a lb - I would be spending at least $40 a day to supplement feed the 3 biggest groups.

bird dog":3pqx7fbs said:
I pay for $90 for a 225lb 30% "all you need" cooked tub. Has a few more minerals than the usual tub. I don't feed a lot of them, just a few from mid Dec. until early Feb. My cows have young calves and I know my hay is only around 8 to 9 %.

I'm sure its not the cheapest way to go but my labor is valuable and its hard to feed cubes to more than a dozen animals to where they all get their share. Troughs are not feasible with the herd rotating every week to 10 days and cubes get mashed into the ground when its muddy. The calves lick the tubs right along side their mom. Gives both of them a healthier coat and seems to cut down on the snotty noses. They are worth it to me.

Same here. Mine are a 30%, All-In-One, #225 for like $90.

Our grass goes back and forth. If you don't get rain during the hot months you end up with a bunch of stock piled, burnt up grass. The tubs keep the cattle hustling up for that grass. We run in to the same thing during the winter. We didn't have much rain after the hurricane this year so there was plenty of grass, but it was burnt up and probably had little nutritional value.

I'm debating getting away from fertilizing my hay fields. Its so expensive and such a huge risk. The last two years I have added the hay fields to the grazing rotation. I have cut hay and grazed them. The lower protein may bite me in the butt but not having the risk associated with the fertilizer is nice.

Brute 23":3t5koa4w said:
bird dog":3t5koa4w said:

Same here. Mine are a 30%, All-In-One, #225 for like $90.

Our grass goes back and forth. If you don't get rain during the hot months you end up with a bunch of stock piled, burnt up grass. The tubs keep the cattle hustling up for that grass. We run in to the same thing during the winter. We didn't have much rain after the hurricane this year so there was plenty of grass, but it was burnt up and probably had little nutritional value.

I'm debating getting away from fertilizing my hay fields. Its so expensive and such a huge risk. The last two years I have added the hay fields to the grazing rotation. I have cut hay and grazed them. The lower protein may bite me in the butt but not having the risk associated with the fertilizer is nice.

You would be better off with CLS or Mix 30 lot more bang for the buck.

Feeding an 80% protein equivalent product at a half pound a day free choice costing $76.00 a hundred. That's the goal, we'll see now that they are on well water and not pond water.

Allenw":3szz0wj9 said:
Feeding an 80% protein equivalent product at a half pound a day free choice costing $76.00 a hundred. That's the goal, we'll see now that they are on well water and not pond water.
Care to share what that product is?

I have tried the liquid feeds before and they have no limiter that actually works. The cattle go crazy. I asked my dealer about it and he said the same thing. His comment was... I cant afford to feed my cattle liquid feed. :)

I'm going to try a salt mix if it comes to it. A lot of people don't feed hay around here. They put out a salt feed for a couple months and that's it.

Brute 23":3f2md3v6 said:
I have tried the liquid feeds before and they have no limiter that actually works. The cattle go crazy. I asked my dealer about it and he said the same thing. His comment was... I cant afford to feed my cattle liquid feed. :)

I'm going to try a salt mix if it comes to it. A lot of people don't feed hay around here. They put out a salt feed for a couple months and that's it.
Pretty easy to do if you've got the feeders for it. Just don't let em run out of water and I usually pull loose salt once I start feeding range meal.
I have in the past started with 2:1 range meal then had to switch to 3:1 if their tolerance for salt increased.

greybeard":mbnjrynw said:
Brute 23":mbnjrynw said:

Pretty easy to do if you've got the feeders for it. Just don't let em run out of water and I usually pull loose salt once I start feeding range meal.
I have in the past started with 2:1 range meal then had to switch to 3:1 if their tolerance for salt increased.

That's my plan. I've done it for droughts before and it wasn't too bad.

I'm going to try my hand at building a feeder in the near future.

Brute 23":2r7tz38p said:
greybeard":2r7tz38p said:
Brute 23":2r7tz38p said:

Y'all really should give the pvm tubs a try. The cattle do well on them and any available dry grass. The price is good. And they are glass hard. Gotta enough natural protein to benefit calves as well.
I'LL be making rounds tomorrow and get a photo of a label.

callmefence":2kphre4k said:
Brute 23":2kphre4k said:
greybeard":2kphre4k said:

Y'all really should give the pvm tubs a try. The cattle do well on them and any available dry grass. The price is good. And they are glass hard. Gotta enough natural protein to benefit calves as well.
I'LL be making rounds tomorrow and get a photo of a label.

That's what I use. Slide down to feed tag.

http://www.pf4feed.com/productdetail.html?pid=aio

Latest posts