calves from Herford bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brookman

Reaction score
I've been told a Herford bull X black cows = black baldies, and a Herford bull X baldie cows = red baldie claves. True? or most of the time? Or will we still get black baldie calves from the Herford X baldie cross?
Thanks

I am absolutely no expert in this. There are many on here more qualified to answer this but here are my thoughts. Black is a dominant gene so most should still be black. Anytime you have more than one color, you run a chance of having the recessive color show up. Also will be influenced by whether you are using purebreds or not. Purebred will limit you to the 2 colors. Commercial will give you the chance of something else unexpected showing up.

I would say that Farmhand nailed it. Hereford bull on purebred Angus cows = Black whiteface or black brockleface calf. Hereford bull on a hereford/angus cross = probably black whiteface or black brockleface, but also a chance of a red white/brockleface depending on the genes.

A Hereford bull (red) and black Angus cows (not red carrier) will have 100% black baldy or black something calves. A Hereford bull (red) on a black baldy cow (1 red gene 1 black gene) will or should give you half red and half black calves.

dun

Those were roughly my thoughts: more of a chance of red calves with the latter-butsince we have no experience , wanted all of your opinions Thanks for the replies

cool half red and half black calves. those are georgia bulldog colors!

Latest posts