Calves dying

Help Support CattleToday:

CCRanch

Reaction score
For the last 3 years I have lost 4 to 6 calves every year. This year I have already lost 2. They are born fine, nursing and then 4 to 7 days old they die. Not coyotes oor buzzards because I have found the carcasses within a few days up to a week or two. This started when I bought 2 Santa Getrudis bulls 3 years ago. Never had this problem until I got these bulls. I have talked to 2 vets and they both say it is not the bulls. They say if the calves are born live it is something else. I can't think of anything else. I have around 60 head and have 8 calves that are fine and 2 that have died for no reason. Also, it hasn't been the same cow that has the calve that died, it is random momma cows that I have had for 8 to 10 years. I'm baffled. Thinking about swapping bulls. All I do and all I have ever done is worm my cattle. No vacs. Never have in the 40 years my dad and then I have. My 65 year old vet hasn't done anything but vaccinate for worms with ivomec. I'm baffled. It has to be the bulls passing something on.

Were they scouring at all /dehydrated.

I would be getting calf guard from your vet and as soon as the calf is born give them the oral syringe. I would also vaccinated the herd.

What kind of area are they calving in and how crowded is it. Meaning how much cow manure do these newborns ingest before they have gotten colostrum .

maybe BVD-PI... my professor told a story of a dairy that didn't vaccinate for bvd-pi and they bought 30 bred heifers that were never vaccinated aswell and two calved on the truck to the dairy. The dairys hutch's were right by the walkway out of the milk parlor so the cows muzzled them everyday, twice a day. That farmer lost cows because of this and his dairy aswell...

Send the next dead calf (under the same circumstances) to your closest agriculture university and see if they can figure it out.
Best of luck,

We are switching from the calf guard and ecoli vaccine you give the calf at birth for the shot you give the cow. We give the shot then 4-7 weekslater a booster then it is annually after that. Provides protection for the calf with lots less trouble and much better safety for us. No more getting in the field and catching the calf there with momma free toget after us. Additionally we are saving 25.00 a head by doing it this way. I will get the name of the vaccine and post it.

Latest posts