Calves and vaccinations (boosters)

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
I cant seem too find the answer I am looking for in search, so here goes! I have too heifers keeping for breeding both are 7months around 600lbs have not weight in awhile. We live in northwest ohio.

What do you reccommend for vacinations(what and when) we had the county fair vet give the boosters in the spring and I believe it was a 4way booster but not sure. But I need to get on a routine on when and what too give. We also used a pouron wormer in the spring (Ivomec). And am planing on using again after 1st killing frost or thanksgiving.

So I guess my questions are: what vaccines do they need? when too give? Am I suppose too use live or dead viruse? and wormers? when? :help: :help: :help:

Just a little more info both cattle are halter broke and recieve a wash/rinse once a week! So I dont believe stress will be a factor! thanks

ditto on check with the vet, you also might want to check on an injectable wormer...

Calves Vaccination Program

1. Calves are vaccinated with Ultrabac 7 at 2-3 months of age. 5 ml; Under the skin; neck region.

2. Calves are weighed and wormed with a Pour-on at 2-3 months of age. Any banding is done at this time.

3. In April. (30-days from weaning) boostered with Ultrabac 7. 5 ml; under the skin; neck region.

This is the best time to vaccinate calves pre-weaning because you do take a chance on the vaccine
being ineffective if you give it during a stressful time --like weaning day.

4. Heifer calves (only) post-weaning are calf-hood vaccinated (veterinarian only) around 8 months of age.

5. All calves (bulls, steers and heifers) are tattooed and vaccinated with IBR, PI3, BVD, BRSV [Modified Live Virus vaccine] + 5-way Leptospirosis, Pasteurella haemolytica and BVD ear notch test around 8 months of age.

Latest posts