Calves and Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
Okay I am dealing with my first calves I have had a lot of cows but these are the first I have kept and bred and am trying to build a small herd of cows. I have about 10 and some are getting close or I think. One is getting a pretty big bag on her. My question is what will be the biggest sign she will be calving very soon? Right now it is right down cold where I am and snowing pretty hard at the moment so what is the main thing that tells you they are going to calf? Also what precautions do I need to take while trying to get to the calf and dry it off. I have had these calves since they were only a week old (most of them) and they are very calm and you can touch them and they are very dostile but how will they act if your near there calf. I know a guy last week who got knocked out by a momma when he was drying the calf off but his cows are pretty wild so do you think since there dostile they will act better or just take all the same precautions as with a wild cow.

1st never trust a momma wtith a baby. No matter how tame. Have an exit plan always

2nd some signs we watch for:
pouching or swelling around the pee-er area.
around the tail bone gets real sloppy. when they are not ready it's tight like a fiddle string. when they are close it sags on both sides.
Bag swells alot and gets firm

The cow should dry the calf off on her own. Real cold might have to have a place ( some type of shelter) for the cow and calf to mother up and shelter from the cold to protect the ears and tail.
Make sure the calf sucks within the first two hour no later than 6. A sure sign if the calf has sucked is if the inside of the mouth is warm or cold....warm sucked. Make sure momma mothers up well.

Often leave the rest of the herd to go off by themselves. Laying down and getting up, over and over. Back arched and tail raised like they're poopin but they ain't. Other animals often try to ride them. Water bag hanging out. Feet sticking out - will often go back in. Those are some of the things I watch for. As time goes by you'll learn to relax where it's not so nervewracking and you can enjoy it more.

Main thing is this, as some of us have found out the hard way over the years, Never trust a cow to calve when you think she SHOULD.......if weather is of ANY concern, seperate that cow into a dry stall away from the weather for her to do her thing, and you also have greater control over things if they start going downhill.

Do not put her into a tiny stall though, as she will need room to actually calve and move around a bit. make sure that the stall is clean, as a barn is often full of pathogens if used regularly for animals.

Depending on the actual weather and temps at time of birth, it is usually best to allow the cow to dry off the calf after birthing, as its a bonding thing, and calms both down...BUT if it is freezing cold with winds or drafts coming through, definately don't hesititate to give mom a hand and dry the calf off yourself. Just be carefull as you woek as mom will be rather protective at thsi time. Don't get between her and the calf at any time.

While waiting for the big moment , feed you cow or heifer lightly, with plenty of water, and now would even be a good time to toss in some electrolytes into the water to help with the stress of it all..............if this is a first time for her, it's all that more important, and also keep an eye on her behavior not only toward you, but to her newborn as well.

Congrats on being a new parent....lol, and good luck to you both! :cboy:

I am also going through my first time calving. The advice here is great, and the things to watch for.

What I have noticed is that each cow is different, and things can happen quickly with or each sign happening slowly over days. Check, check and recheck. I wish I had calving pens this year but they will be in place for next year as it would set my mind at ease!

Best of luck to you, and post your experiences so we can all learn from them!

Since you have had them from babies and these are their first calves these will be first calf heifers - not cows yet.

I agree with everyone's post. Watch out for them and don't trust them since they do not fear you. Their instinct to protect their baby can be deadly strong.

You mentioned she was bagging up. That is a great sign she is nearing time but she can do this several days ahead of time or sometimes it doesn't happen till she actually goes into labor. On the ones that bag, I watch for the teet. When I see it pushing to the side instead of hanging straight down I know its fixing to happen.

Vulva will also be jelly like. Tail head will also change - rise and shift for lack of better explanation.

She will go off by herself or walk the fences.

Best advice I can give you is to watch for all these things and keep an eye on her but don't get in her way and try to help her unless its the last option. Too many times people jump in trying to help and do more harm than good. 98% of the time they will calve without your help. Sometimes when you see them going into labor its best hop in the truck and ride to town and come back in a couple of hours and admire the calf.JMO

It always seems that in my neck of the woods, they calve in the worst weather possible. Last year I had pretty good weather (knock on wood) but usually we don't get good weather for calving. It's probably already been mentioned, but watch for a change in the cow's behavior.

Heifers may start bagging a month or more prior to calving - OR - while calving. No set rule - they don't read the book.
Tight bag & teats, loose vulva, high tailhead, lots of clear mucous discharge from vulva.
Things to watch for indicating something is wrong - bloody discharge & no immediate calving - kicking bellie and/or tail held out like she is pushing and no progress for 1 hour - see TAIL (breech) - feet turned UP (the first thing you will see is a water bag, then hopefully two feet, which will be the front feet and they "should" be facing DOWN) If feet are turned up, either the calf is backwards or upsidedown.
Observe from a distance so that she isn't constantly jumping up to see what you are doing.
Contact a vet & let him know you are calving heifers & ask if he is available if they need assistance.

One sign that hasn;t been mentioned is when looking at them straight on from the front or the rear they almost don;t even look pregnant anymore. That's the calf having rotated into the birthing position. Doesn;t always happen, but other then the feet, none of the signs happen everytime.

Latest posts