Calves 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Well - it's been awhile since I've been on here and actually have some spare time to post a few pictures. Calving season has gone well so far despite some crappy weather. Lots of cool wet snow/rain. Finally the last few days we have had a break (although there was another rain shower overnight) and the sun has come out and helped dry stuff out a little. Our calving pasture has more dirt than grass at this point. Just glad that so far we have been able to keep most of the calves healthy. Amazing how tough they are! I think it helped that the temperature never really fluctuated (just stayed between roughly -5C to +5C), so although they were cool & wet and miserable it wasn't as hard on them as it could have been with big temperature swings. Biggest problem is we just aren't used to dealing with so much mud! Better than a drought though.

Anyway here's a few pictures. Some are from yesterday and some are from a few weeks ago.

IMG_7506sm_zps4hwbcwio.jpg

IMG_7515sm_zpsj9ksl7sr.jpg

just digging a hole just like the big bulls do

IMG_7566sm_zpsgcu7i63a.jpg

IMG_7543sm_zpswiutxxyv.jpg

IMG_8186sm_zpsr0jcaleb.jpg

IMG_8141sm_zps1hcoeuah.jpg

IMG_8179sm_zpsqjhtfsfw.jpg

these tan calves camouflage pretty good with the oat stubble

IMG_8216sm_zps24tvems1.jpg

soaking up the sun

IMG_8203sm_zpspcie8fha.jpg

this calf is not sure what colour he wants to be. He's sorta tan/gray/bronze. Be interesting to see how his colour changes over the next few months.

IMG_8087sm_zpsf7a1sr8o.jpg

calving pasture is looking a little rough - hard to stop them from tearing it up when it's so moist...

IMG_8261sm_zpstnxwbmkc.jpg

mmmm milk

Hope everyone's spring is going well so far!

awesome pics!
Not muddy here, but dang cold.. tulips in may??? that's late.. grass is kinda growing, alfalfa, not so much

Thanks guys!

Nesi -been chilly here too, just the last few days that the sun has finally come out and you can just about watch stuff turning green & growing. Should have lots of moisture to get the pastures & hay fields looking good. It's just about time to get into the fields & start seeding. Most years guys have started seeding a couple weeks ago already and I don't know of anyone that has started yet this year. A lot of guys are still trying to get last years crops off before they can even think of seeding this years. Been a good wind the last couple of days so that should help dry stuff out.

We got a few calves vaccinated the last few days and some pairs hauled out to a couple different pieces with some stockpiled grass & stubble to pick through (put a couple bales out too but so far they haven't really touched those). They will have to get walked back across the road in a few weeks to get hauled to their actual pastures but it's good to get some off this home piece. They are happy to get out and pick some grass.

Thought I'd share a few more pictures while I'm on here:

IMG_8259sm_zpsmidclia3.jpg

first calf heifer with her heifer calf. Heifer is SimAngus x Gelbvieh/Angus. Calf is Red Angus sired.

IMG_8156sm_zpslgo8wcup.jpg

Red Angus heifer - she calved a couple days after this picture was taken, a nice little heifer calf.

IMG_8102sm_zpsoeoedczb.jpg

Black Angus 2nd calver

IMG_7481sm_zps8sgtshjl.jpg

1st calf heifer. SimAngus x Sim/Herf

IMG_7484sm_zpspk0wbtsa.jpg

her heifer calf - Red Angus sired

IMG_7456sm_zpsy18mjsco.jpg

Red Angus heifer calf

IMG_7426sm_zpscqkmhyte.jpg

1st calf Black Angus heifer with her heifer calf

IMG_8296sm_zpsajj7lvao.jpg

Black Angus pair