calve prices

Help Support CattleToday:

mountainranch

Reaction score
I read that one poster trys to get at least $600 each for his calves. I have black angus and baldies. My angus bull is purebred, but not registered, and produces beautiful calves. I don't have any scales to weigh my calves so how can you price them fairly to an individual? What are 1 year old angus heifers and steers worth? Do most of you sell them by the pound or age ? THANKS

mountainranch":3ha27tkf said:
I read that one poster trys to get at least $600 each for his calves. I have black angus and baldies. My angus bull is purebred, but not registered, and produces beautiful calves. I don't have any scales to weigh my calves so how can you price them fairly to an individual? What are 1 year old angus heifers and steers worth? Do most of you sell them by the pound or age ? THANKS

There's surely someone around with scales you can use. People come by and use ours on occasion. But that's a bit far for you, I guess. :) We used to haul our registered calves to the sale barn on an off day and weigh them there. But they charged us more than we wanted to pay, so we bought a set.

Yearling Angus heifers and steers are worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay. You might talk to your extension people and see if there are any special sales for quality animals. In OK the cattlemen's group sponsers Beef Quality Assurance sales around the state. They co-mingle your dozen head with my dozen head and Joe Smith's dozen head, similar weight, age, so the buyers can buy larger groups at a time. They've been pretty successful. See if something is going on like that in your area/state. In my area Angus heifers are popular for relacements. At least when we're not in a drought, they are. :(

A pain to do it but you can use the elevators scales around here. Empty trailer vs loaded trailer... Or you can spend the money on some sort of a system. WE have been known to weigh groups of cattle at the elevators just to get an idea of how much shrink happened at the sale barn. Sometimes, not so bad, sometimes.. youch..

IL Rancher":1kwrnllm said:
A pain to do it but you can use the elevators scales around here. Empty trailer vs loaded trailer... Or you can spend the money on some sort of a system. WE have been known to weigh groups of cattle at the elevators just to get an idea of how much shrink happened at the sale barn. Sometimes, not so bad, sometimes.. youch..

thats what we do too.

cowboyup
Yes, theres a quarry near us, good idea, I'll check with them. Do most of you price your calves, cows, by weight when selling to individuals? THANKS

Latest posts