calming the calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I have an orphan calf I have been bottle feeding since Sunday morning. I still have it in the barn. Usually after a couple days I can turn them out with the herd and just call it to come for it's bottle. This one is a ripper. She tries to gun me down a couple times before taking the bottle. I have tried being patient and waiting for her to come to me, but I usually end up chasing her around the pen to corner her, kicking, bawling, and bucking, then after I get the nipple in her mouth she's fine. Will it calm down soon? Any tips? Never had one this wild for so long. She was only a week old when she lost her mom. Thanks!

Maybe you could try haltering the calf and spending sometime with it everyday. I know free time is hard to come by, but it may prove valuable. If push comes to shove and the calf doesn't become anymore tame, cull it. High strung animals are a liability and prices are pretty good for almost any beef animal right now. Good luck.

Maybe another option is to place it into a smaller pen. Most calves that we have that are wild when young will settle down after two weeks or so. If the calf doesn't we show them who is boss and skip a feeding. The next morning they come running.

Kevin

A few years ago we had an calf that was orphaned at 3 weeks.. we got him roped and put him in the trailer. (Small area)

He'd do the same.. bellow and run when we first went in with a bottle. Eventually they do settle down. I think it took about a week before ours was quiet enough we could put him in a larger pen.

I agree with franseen. Cows don't just feed their calves and then leave, so foster human moms shouldn't either. Is this a calf that you want to keep in your herd? If so it is worth spending the time on her. Do you have a cow that is tame enough to pat? Sometimes a calf put in with an older calm cow will settle down a lot because they aren't as afraid of predators. Time and patience are always the best remedy though.:)

Sometimes another bottle calf helps too. Could be skitterish if it is being kept alone. Try to find it a buddy if possible.

when I run into this - especially after they know what the bottle is - I let them go hungry.

They soon learn to come to the pail.

Bez

Great advice....Although I felt bad, no bottle last night. She does have hay, sweet mix, and water available. This AM when I came with the bottle she was waiting and the door. We are now buddies, atlast!

Latest posts