CallMeFence(man) Hi Tensile Electric

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
Fence, (or anyone else) what's a good per foot guess for Hi Tensile electric fence, materials only? And any reccomendations such as number of strands, number that are hot, wire spacing, post spacing, best brands of wire, best insulators, etc. Will be used on a leased farm for calm cow/calf. Trying to get by without spending an arm and leg but I want to do it right.
 

Ol' 243

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2016
Messages
738
Reaction score
1
Location
Wedowee, Al
True Grit Farms":1ow983ra said:
I could probably do 3 strands all hot, 12"x12"x18" for $2.00 a foot, but you'd have to supply the fence charger.

What??????? Your joking right????
 
OP
J

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
Ol' 243":392nadnq said:
True Grit Farms":392nadnq said:
I could probably do 3 strands all hot, 12"x12"x18" for $2.00 a foot, but you'd have to supply the fence charger.

What??????? Your joking right????

When do you want to start TG? :lol2: Will you take a check? :lol2: :lol2:
 

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
8,284
Reaction score
2,399
Location
Fencemans place...central Texas
JMJ Farms":178kr4fb said:
Fence, (or anyone else) what's a good per foot guess for Hi Tensile electric fence, materials only? And any reccomendations such as number of strands, number that are hot, wire spacing, post spacing, best brands of wire, best insulators, etc. Will be used on a leased farm for calm cow/calf. Trying to get by without spending an arm and leg but I want to do it right.


I don't do a lot of electric. Not real popular here. But the wire should cost you 2.5 cents a foot per strand. For a perimeter fence. :( :deadhorse: if you must I would do at least four . Six every other one hot on a 8 " spacing would be great. Tpost at 4.00 each (rounding up) with the galleger insulators . Spaced every 25.

You should come out under 50 cents plus braces and charger.
For temporary interior fence electric is great. I use one or two 14 gauge wires with step in post every 25. I really like those step in post. I can move a half mile of fence faster than my wife can change shoes.
http://afence.com/store/Wire-Rope-and-Tape/
 
OP
J

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
Thanks for the reply Fenceman. I would prefer barb wire or woven but with a short term lease I can't spend that money for permanent fence on another mans place. I may wind up hating the high tensile but I'm gonna try it. He has a little on the place already - 4 strand - 2nd and 4th are hot. At least it's not on a busy highway or anything like that. Wish me luck!
 

True Grit Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
9,453
Reaction score
4
Location
Middle Georgia
You don't need luck, you need a hot charger. If you don't have a good fence charger call me and I'll set you up. We haven't had any get cows get out as of yet. And some of my perimeter fence is only 2 wire high tensile, but both are hot.
 
OP
J

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
True Grit Farms":e6vptlbr said:
You don't need luck, you need a hot charger. If you don't have a good fence charger call me and I'll set you up. We haven't had any get cows get out as of yet. And some of my perimeter fence is only 2 wire high tensile, but both are hot.

What kind of charger do you use TG?

Oh and I was coming to he cattlemens meeting Thursday night but we moved hay until about 8:30. I thought it was gonna rain Friday.
 

Nesikep

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
16,729
Reaction score
1,272
Location
Lillooet, BC, Canada
JMJ Farms":1uiza147 said:
I may wind up hating the high tensile

Careful.. you might end up liking it!
If you have GOOD braces, it'll be a good fence.. I run wood posts at 20 ft spacing (they're a nice guide for irrigation at 20ft), 5 strands about 10-12" apart, middle one hot... no cows put their heads through it, the wire 'feels' solid so they don't try it.. You don't need a killer charger to keep them smart, as long as it's darned uncomfortable to touch, they won't try it unless you have some crazy rodeo stock

Barbed wire can make the pope cuss!
 

Till-Hill

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
1,054
Reaction score
18
Location
Waterville, Iowa
Nesikep":inddn0hx said:
JMJ Farms":inddn0hx said:
I may wind up hating the high tensile

Careful.. you might end up liking it!
If you have GOOD braces, it'll be a good fence.. I run wood posts at 20 ft spacing (they're a nice guide for irrigation at 20ft), 5 strands about 10-12" apart, middle one hot... no cows put their heads through it, the wire 'feels' solid so they don't try it.. You don't need a killer charger to keep them smart, as long as it's darned uncomfortable to touch, they won't try it unless you have some crazy rodeo stock

Barbed wire can make the pope cuss!

I was thinking about putting wood in at 20' and running hi tensile. Just bought 7.5 acres and house so things are going to get tight. Plan was continuous around it but that's to much cash right now.

But if hi tensile don't work I got half the posts there and can re do it easy enough. I'll make sure corners are tough. Going to be pairs/bulls/weaned calves.

5 wires with 2 hot? And just how hot? Them proshock fencers look the part and seem reasonable priced. I just don't want to chase cattle
 

Ebenezer

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
2,118
Reaction score
122
Location
Piedmont of SC
Braces are key. You can use 5" wood posts every 100' or at highs and lows and fiberglass posts at 20'. It cuts time and cost but just keep it tight. With ground as 0, the full 5 strand fence we run as perimeter is 8,14,25,35, and 45" with the 35 grounded and rest hot. The 8" can be turned off if needed. Works for sheep and cattle.

Do you know how to test ground rods? They will make or break a charger from being effective. Probably the most overlooked part and the stronger the charger the more important and possibly limiting element.
 
OP
J

JMJ Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2015
Messages
4,812
Reaction score
24
Location
Middle Georgia
True Grit Farms":10m6qjid said:
Pro Shock, there made tight here in Haynesville Georgia. We had 7 ribeyes leftover.

I will definitely try a ProShock. They don't advocate transgender bathrooms do they? :stop: I don't trade with folks that do :hide: Where can you buy them TG? Are they in stores, or do I need to go to Haynesville?

Hate I missed the ribeye :bang: They are my favorite cut.
 

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
8,284
Reaction score
2,399
Location
Fencemans place...central Texas
True Grit Farms":1agd59vc said:
You don't need luck, you need a hot charger. If you don't have a good fence charger call me and I'll set you up. We haven't had any get cows get out as of yet. And some of my perimeter fence is only 2 wire high tensile, but both are hot.


With all due respect grit. You seem to pretty hardnosed about good husbandry practices, and doing things in a professional manner. You don't seem to be one to cut corners.

Help me understand you 2 wire perimeter fence. Maybe between you and a neighbor ?
Where even if they cattle go through, their still not out?
 

True Grit Farms

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
9,453
Reaction score
4
Location
Middle Georgia
Fenceman, I would like 4 strands of barbed wire, and 1 hot. But the property line needs some serious cleaning up to put the fence where it needs to go. The fence has been a temporary deal now for 8 years. I'm just speculating here, but I feel like if you give a cow everything they need they won't leave. But if my cows ever do get out, I'll for sure change something.
 

Latest posts

Top