California Buckeye tree or shrub

Help Support CattleToday:

crewboss

Reaction score
I seem to get conflicting opinions in my research about the toxicity of the Buckeye. Does anyone have first hand knowledge or experience with these trees in their rangeland?

Thanks

crewboss":rxc4413d said:
I seem to get conflicting opinions in my research about the toxicity of the Buckeye. Does anyone have first hand knowledge or experience with these trees in their rangeland?

Thanks
I have a lot of buckeye in the pasture. Not the same variety but toxic all the same. The cattle won't touch it. Don't believe they ever would unless it was ground up in hay or feed. I have used Grazon P&D or Remedy to kill it.

Biggest problem with buckeye is in pastures where there's nothing else green to eat - buckeye is one of the very first trees/bushes to leaf out in spring. If the pastures are grazed into the ground, the producer's not feeding enough(or, perhaps not at all), and these ol' gals are looking for something green to eat, you can have a wreck.
Generally, if there's plenty of grass, hay, or other feeds, buckeye's less likely to cause problems.

Latest posts