Calf's front legs bending under.

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I'm interested to Know some of y'all ideas on this littla bull calf.When he was born he couldnt stand without his front legs buckling at the knees.He's about 13 days old an is some what better now.He can stand fine but legs buckle under when he tries to run.He's otherwise good and healthy and drinking plenty milk.I have talked to several of the old timers around here and they seem to think he will get alright.The vet also said in time he'll probably be just fine.
Wondering if any of y'all ever had this to happen.

Cal

I haven;t seen but a ocuple that were that severe and they turned out fine. Just for laughs you might try a shot of selenium to help with the muscle tone. Can;t hurt unless you're in a high selenium area of the country.

dun":61e1zzbd said:
I haven;t seen but a ocuple that were that severe and they turned out fine. Just for laughs you might try a shot of selenium to help with the muscle tone. Can;t hurt unless you're in a high selenium area of the country.

A guy local mentioned the selenium but the vet said it was discontinued in this area.

Cal

I have several cases of this each year, I don't think a lack of minerals is causing this. Usually their legs strighten in a week. This past summer I had one so crippled, he could not nurse. I bottled him to keep him going.I took over a month but he recovered, and is doing well.

Thanks everyone for your replys.The little feller is already doing better he stands and walks good but when he gets to running with the other calves he falls on his face. I really think he'll be okay in a little more time.

Thanks again Cal

Little calf got alright.Running and playing with the others,can't even tell it had a problem. :D
Thanks again to everyone for your replys.

Cal

Latest posts