Hard pull/swollen calf legs

Help Support CattleToday:

daniellew_101

Reaction score
We had a super hard pull last night on a bred heifer. Calf presented backwards and we were unable to get the calf out. The vet ended up doing a cesarean and getting the calf out alive.
This morning, calf is able to stand but both back legs, from mid-canon down are swollen and both fetlocks are wanting to flex, resulting in the calf walking on its anterior "knuckles". Front legs are fine. They do straighten if you do it manually.
Im assuming this is just a tendon or nerve damage due to the hard pull. Wondering if theres any good treatment for it. I was thinking maybe some banamine? dex?
Any thoughts?

If they don't straighten out in a few days the vet can fix the issue pretty easy with a procedure. I've had mixed results using dex and exercising the hoofs. Don't be afraid to get rough when straightening them. Hopefully someone has a better answer. Also some people make splints out of some kind of stiff hose to keep them straight, We've never tried that but they seem to have good luck with it

Pool noodles make good splints (not that you can find any this time of year). I've had the best luck with physical therapy and time, no meds, just Vitamin B Complex.

Good save, getting the vet out and a live calf!!
Thank you! I was pretty happy to get a live calf out of it!
And thanks for the idea! Pool noodles are a great thought. We've used PVC in the past but had issues with sores forming. I'll have to try this if the calf doesn't start coming around in the next couple days.

Latest posts