calfs coughing

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcollins

Reaction score
Looking for a little help. I have been having a hick of a time with my calfs this winter. I bought 4 Jerseys and I just about lost one to pnenumia. He was flat out and laying on his side. I drenched him with water for a couple of days and give him some antibotics and he came out of it. Now I bought two more angus calfs from the sale yard and I found out after I got home that one was sick. He was coughing up a storm so I tried the same antibotics and vitamin B complex. He seemed to being doing better. Than he went down hill fast. He was breathing really heavy. I was drooling really bad before him finaling went down. So I got nuflor from the vet but it was to late and him died over the weekend. Before he died he was drooling all over the place.

I had him in with my other calfs for a few days before I separated him off. Now I afraid that my other calfs maybe affected.

Questions.

1. The Jersey that was sick seems to be fine but still coughs once in awhile. I was told that he could have a cough the rest of his life. Is this true? Should I be concerned?

2. Should I give the other calfs shots of antibotics just in cause?

3. Any idea what would cause a calf to drool so much?

Thanks in advance for your feed back!

Brent

I'd wait until I saw symptoms of something before giving the rest of the calves antibiotics willy-nilly.

The Jersey might have a cough the rest of his life, and might not. Lungs can repair themselves, so given time and good nutrition he may heal up just fine.

Couple questions on the calves...

What kind of shelter do they have?

What kind of feed are they getting?

Have they been vaccinated?

What type of antibiotics are you using?

The calfs are in a pen with Straw.

I have been feeding them hay - Grass mixed with a little Alfalfa.

I can't remember the exact name of the antibotic but the everyone at the feed store calls it LA - the antibotic is oxy????

Thanks Brent

I take it they have a shed?

What size/age are the calves?

Are they getting grain in addition to hay?

LA200 (oxytetracycline) -- it's a good antibiotic but not always enough for treating pneumonia. Try Nuflor or Baytril (Baytril's my favorite, but Nuflor is cheaper) if you have more problems. Both are Rx drugs, so you'll have to get them from your vet.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the feed back. I have given the Angus 3 days straight of Oytetracyline. The calf still coughs but he seems fine other than that. Question I have is should I still be worried? Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks Brent

How about a temperature reading on the angus calf? (101.5-102.5 is normal for a calf.)

Hard to say if 3 days is sufficient or if he needs to be treated again. It's one of those things I could make a judgment call on if he was standing in one of my pens, but can't really do over the 'net.

Also, how old is he? and what size/weight is he?

Not sure of the age..... I know he weighs 350lbs. I don't have a chute so getting a temperature reading could be hard to do. Right now we get him between two panels to hold him to give him a shot.

That's similar to how I do mine too. :p If you can get him pinned well enough to give a shot, taking a temperature will be easy. Rectally, of course; digital thermometer is easiest to use.

IMHO, grass hay, even with a little alfalfa, doesn't have adequate nutrition for 3-4wt calves. Those size calves really need grain or their body condition suffers, and with it, their immune system and ability to fight off diseases. Even a couple pounds per head per day would go a long ways toward getting better average daily gains, as well as making them healthier animals... and they'll sell better later if they're slicked off and sleek.

I have one pen of 7-900lb Holstein calves still on grain... beef breeds don't need the grain quite so much, but dairy breeds (like those Jerseys) really need it or their health suffers and their growth is severely stunted. Just my opinion, and food for thought.

Best of luck with the calves! :)

103.5 is normal for a calf, 101-101.5 is normal for a cow. I've never figured out when the transition is from calf to cow

dun

thanks for the update. I'm going to try and take the calfs temperature tonight.

I'd keep them warm and dry, and isolate the sick one like you did. Definetely should be feeding some grain, a 12-14% sweet feed at least, especially now that they are sickly.

I like La 200 and banamine for coughs/pneumonia. Keep in mind pneumonia is highly contagious, if you think another calf had been by the one that died, I would give it antibiotics.

Hope this helps

GMN

Latest posts