calf

Help Support CattleToday:

hi dun we have a holstein bottle calf that is 1 yr old and we plan on butchering him sometime this fall would you recommend 60 or 90 days of grain and what would you put in with ground corn? we have always sold our calves never have raised one to butcher before and actually this one was bought so he doesnt mean to much to me.

snickers":2qgb91qx said:
hi dun we have a holstein bottle calf that is 1 yr old and we plan on butchering him sometime this fall would you recommend 60 or 90 days of grain and what would you put in with ground corn? we have always sold our calves never have raised one to butcher before and actually this one was bought so he doesnt mean to much to me.
Dependss on what he's been eating up till now and his weight. Fall is a long ways away when it comes to planning the finishing

allischalmers1984":15l8gyh1 said:
is it profitable to buy and raise young calves to butcher weight?

It depends on the input costs for you. New born bottle fed beef calves are up to $300 at some sales. Its going to take more than pasture to get one to 1200 lbs in a year's time in my opinion.

i have a crib full of corn and plenty of hay. I was just wondering would it pay off in the end. I can buy 3 angus calves for $400 each. Just dont want to waste money

it sounds like you've never raised a steer to finish. put a paper and pencil to it and then expect it to take longer and be more expensive by about 10%. if you can live with that; go for it...

What is your time worth? Are you willing to work for less than $2 an hour? 4 calves are not going to make many nickels for you. Let one die and you are in the hole.

I would guess his wt. @ 850 to 900 lbs and he is getting all the hay he wants and he has had about a 3lb can of commodity blend everyday for along time. he will be put with our cow's for the spring/summer b4 we pen him up for the finishing.

snickers":29kjxwze said:
I would guess his wt. @ 850 to 900 lbs and he is getting all the hay he wants and he has had about a 3lb can of commodity blend everyday for along time. he will be put with our cow's for the spring/summer b4 we pen him up for the finishing.
90 days and ramp him up slowly to about 2% of his weight. Just rememebr that 2% @ 30 days is less then 2% @ 60 days

Latest posts