Calf with swollen tongue

Help Support CattleToday:

dthompson

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a young calf here he is about 5 weeks old Charolais X Bull , over the last 48 hours his tongue has seemed to swell up and when we purchased him it was fine we were wondering if it is because we are feeding him with calf replacer milk or from some kind of infection he doesnt seem to be sick only his tongue , we dont think it is wooden tongue as he seems to be able to close his mouth and it is still soft. I have given him some Ilium Dexapent to reduce the swelling and also started a small course of penicillin. if someone has any ideas or knows a cure can they please post me a message.

Thankyou

Damien Thompson

If it were a holstein and it was around a wood feed bunk I could almost garuntee wood slivers in the tongue. When they get a piece of wood opened up they will chew and lick until their tongue hurts to much to lick anymore. Not the brightest breed.

no mate it hasnt been around a wooden bunk and you dont necessarily get wooden tongue from wood slivers ( wooden tongue is mainly from an infection and it bceomes as hard as a piece of wood hence the name WOODEN TONGUE sorry if i sound rude

Latest posts