Calf with swollen jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

NOREASTER

Reaction score
I have a six week old ayshire calf who is drinking and eating well but has developed a lump on each side of his jaw about the size of an egg - he looks like he has the mumps. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and who to treat it?

Have you felt the lump? Is it soft like it may have fluid in it? I have had to lance a few on calves and one on a yearling. The yearling's was almost the size of a basketball, calves egg size. Cut it open and gobs of yuck runs out, shoot a little iodine on it, a shot of LA-200, and in a few days they are good as new.

NOREASTER":3b8hmdia said:
Don't you think its odd that she has it on each side? Is she to young for lumpy jaw?

lumpy jaw is one of the first things that came to my mind. i'm not sure what "too young" is for lumpy jaw but i've seen it in some fairly young calves (2-3 months).

if it is lumpy jaw, you may need to have a vet look at it. ours likes to give an iodide solution i.v. as treatment along w/cutting the lumps open & giving a shot of penicillin.

never seen lumpy jaw on both sides & from what i read it usually starts from an infected tooth or something else anyway. what ever it is , it is infected & you need to give a shot of some antibiotic & see if that does help it

Latest posts