Calf with a hurt leg

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
Last night when I fed the cows they were all fine, tonight when I got home, I noticed one of the heifer calves was limping. I went ahead and put her in the pen and looked her over real good and there is no cuts or no blood. But when she walks, she does not pick her hoof up she drags it. My question is: Do I just keep an eye on her or take her to the vet? Thanks, Phil

Age? Front leg or back? Depending on the answers to those questions it could be anything. Broken bone, joint infection, "stifled"/ACL tear, nerve damage, sprain, etc, etc. No way to even guess at this one over the 'net with the limited information provided. Most of the possibilities do involve vet care though, so I'd say taking her to a vet is probably your best bet....

Isomade - she actually drags it on the ground.

Milkmaid - Sorry about the lack of information. It is her left front leg, she is almost one years old and weighs about 650 lbs. I watched her last night and she does shift her weight from one front leg to the other, but when she goes to walk, she drags the top of her left hoof on the ground. She does not pick that hoof up. I checked her again this morning and she was about the same. I called the vet and he said if she does not show any signs of improvement, bring her in Saturday. I just got home and checked her again, and she seems to be doing better. She is now starting to pick her hoof up a little bit when she walks. Thanks, Phil

Might have been a strain (leg pulled outwards) resulting in temporary nerve damage. Saw one with similar symptoms once. Did you take her to the vet? if so, what did they think?

I am dealing with a similar problem. My heifer is about 14 months or so.

My cattle manager says it is foot rot. According to him, sounds worse than it is. He is giving her LA 200 I believe. Hopefully that knocks it out.

Sorry everybody for the delay.

The vet had told me if she wasn't better by Saturday to bring her in. I went to the barn Saturday and watched her for awhile and she seemed fine. I went ahead and opened the gate and you'd think she'd just won the lottery! She was jumping and kicking and just ran off to the other cows. Haven't noticed her having any problems since.

SPJRanch":1xtqkyr7 said:
Sorry everybody for the delay.

The vet had told me if she wasn't better by Saturday to bring her in. I went to the barn Saturday and watched her for awhile and she seemed fine. I went ahead and opened the gate and you'd think she'd just won the lottery! She was jumping and kicking and just ran off to the other cows. Haven't noticed her having any problems since.
All good!

Latest posts