Calf Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

denlaz

Reaction score
We are new to the cattle world. We have had our first calving season and have 6 calves. How do we know when it is time to wean successfully? These calves are 100% Angus. Thanks. :wave:

Deoending on the condition of the cow, your local market, etc, Typically they are weaned aorund 6-7 months

You might want to do some searches on here for "fenceline" weaning

we wean ours on the trailer going to the market and do very well with that. Some friends of ours wean theirs and wait to sell until a month or two later, they don't get anymore for theirs doing it their way verses ours except have a grain bill and actually ours look alot better taking them straight off the cow. JMO though.

snickers,
I weaned on the trailer for 40 years or more - and yes, if you're just running 'em through a salebarn, you get just as much(or as little) as if you'd weaned them properly and given them all the appropriate vaccinations - 'cause the buyers are figuring that they're 'trailer-weaned' and haven't had any vaccinations - and they're likely going to be dealing with some sick calves and some deads.
BUT! It's not the best thing for the calves, or for the next folks on down the line. I no longer send anything but cull cows through any of the local auction barns. I now have a buyer who knows what my cattle are, what they'll do, and knows that my calves have been weaned, vaccinated, and are bunk-broke. They don't have major problems with sick calves or death loss in my calves. Yeah, it costs more, and it's a bit more work, but it's the right thing to do.
I don't consign to the 'certified pre-conditioned' sales, though most of the time, my calves would qualify. But, most of the time, my buyer pays me a little higher than the prices at the CPH sales.

Same here,
45 day weaning in a feedlot. 2 rounds of vacinations, worming, fly spray (if needed). Bulls are banded hopefully before weaning but sometimes one gets by me and I have to band a big one.

My calving season is WAY too long and I have all size calves. Kinda hurts at the graded sale.

if we had a buyer maybe then we would do that, but we only have 12 cow's and not big enough for a buyer to come out to our place. what I was saying was our friends put alot more effort and work for some calves that go to the same place and they don't bring anymore than ours. when we do sell we usually get the top dollar because the people at the sale barn know we take good care of our cattle and they look the part too! we have thought about keeping them and selling them as freezer beef but don't really have the space so what we do we are happy with most of the time. I wish we had more land and the resources to do everything right but we don't so we have to make do. We really enjoy the little herd we have, we have raised most of the girls and will really hate to see them go when that day comes. I know your right lucky_p maybe one day we will be able to do what you are able to do now.

Just curious--does anybody else wean their calves gradually? I separate the calves and cows
in the morning, let the cows in so the calves nurse late afternoon, repeat in early AM, then
late afternoon, by now the calves are bawling very little, most of them have
figured out that mama's coming back (they are within a few yards but there are
two fences in between), I do this for three or four days, then cut them to one nursing a day,
wean completely after letting them nurse once a day for three or four days,
the cows and calves show virtually no stress, of course my house
is not far from the barn/corral, so it's easy for me. I started this years ago because
I had some dairy-cross cows that might get mastitis if they were not tapered off. The
first calf mamas learn the routine of entering/leaving the corral (the latter for cubes, of course)
from the older cows, it's really easy.
Anybody else do this gradual weaning?

With the beef I don't, I just fenceline ween, but I can see how that would be easier on the calves and cows.
The Holstein replacements were weened gradually , at about 10 weeks the milk was reduced daily until they were only getting one pint twice a day before weening. It was less stressful on them and they usually adapted to a tmr feed only much easier.

Same as Hillsdown, except we don't have dairy replacement but once in awhile we do have a calf that requires a bottle -
I used to put an older cow with the calves during weaning and that also helps.Not possible with a one season herd of course.
Valerie

Latest posts