Calf weak and shaking

Help Support CattleToday:

MCFD120

Reaction score
Hello everyone so we had a calf born last week 2/12/21 thats giving me problems first off he was born with no problems but the night after birth he ended up finding his way into a drainage ditch. I discovered this the next morning so the calf was in the ditch 6-8 hours brought the calf to my house to warm it and the calf takes a bottle great but is still shaking and unable to stand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also gave the calf a booster with vitamin B vitamin C also Daxamethazone and prevail thank you all!

Did the calf get colostrum ?
Where did the calves mother go ?
Yes the calf got colostrum and the mother is still on site the calf was so weak it couldnt stand so I brought it to my house and the plan was to bottle feed it and get it warm until it could stand and nurse on its own but were 4 days in and he cant stand on its own for more than 10-15 minutes on its own

It's entirely possible mama ain't milking. Could be plugged teats or any other reason. Could get mama in a chute and check that udder out. Milk her a bit and see what ya get.
If that's the case, it may just take some time for that calf to recover.
I just went thru a bit of the same thing. Mamas teats were so big the calf couldnt get latched on. She had the same issue as a heifer but her first calf had no issues. Honestly, I think this calf was just a bit stupid. She had plenty of milk. Once I got her milked down a bit, he got going good. But he did rest a LOT

It's entirely possible mama ain't milking. Could be plugged teats or any other reason. Could get mama in a chute and check that udder out. Milk her a bit and see what ya get.
If that's the case, it may just take some time for that calf to recover.
I just went thru a bit of the same thing. Mamas teats were so big the calf couldnt get latched on. She had the same issue as a heifer but her first calf had no issues. Honestly, I think this calf was just a bit stupid. She had plenty of milk. Once I got her milked down a bit, he got going good. But he did rest a LOT
Momma milks great the only reason I took the calf was that he wouldnt stand on his own and had gotten cold over night he has gotten to the point of standing on his own for a few minutes at a time now but he shakes and walks like he is on a three day drunk lol body temperature is normal and he eats GREAT from the bottle Im just at a lose with this one most of the time if my calfs get bad cold I will throw them in the feed truck for a hour or so and they are good to go with a booster

Is it possible the calf got a navel injection that is turning into joint ill? Feel around the navel if it is swollen, hard, or warm. It may be painful for it to stand.

Is it possible the calf got a navel injection that is turning into joint ill? Feel around the navel if it is swollen, hard, or warm. It may be painful for it to stand.
It could be possible I'm on duty at the fire department today but I will check that out first thing in the morning

Navel ill is definitely something to consider. Check to see if it's swollen &/or has pus. Can be treated successfully, but aggressively so it doesn't segue into the joints. But I'd also consider previous hypothermia.

Just a thought: you said mama's milk is great. But have you actually checked? Noticed a calf last year that was with his attentive mama later in the day he was born, but he was bawling, just not right. Gave him a bottle and he sucked it down in record time. That's a problem! Mama's bag looked okay but turns out she had one dead quarter and another one with raging mastitis.

Navel ill is definitely something to consider. Check to see if it's swollen &/or has pus. Can be treated successfully, but aggressively so it doesn't segue into the joints. But I'd also consider previous hypothermia.

Just a thought: you said mama's milk is great. But have you actually checked? Noticed a calf last year that was with his attentive mama later in the day he was born, but he was bawling, just not right. Gave him a bottle and he sucked it down in record time. That's a problem! Mama's bag looked okay but turns out she had one dead quarter and another one with raging mastitis.
I suppose I should have added more detail to momma I appogize. I did get momma in the chute and attempted to get the calf to nurse at that time I did get milk out of all four quarters. I just have spoke to my wife and she said the calf seemed to be doing better at least standing unassisted but still shaking. I will check him out with what you had suggested earlier also any advice on treating previous hypothermia? Thank you for the advice its greatly appreciated.

Give. Him a shot of Bo-Se from your vet costs $2 a shot, also if I have a weak calf besides the Bo-Se I will give 5ml injectable Iron, 5ml injectable B Complex, and A&D Injectable 1ml. Works every time.

Nursemate ASAP is what I give sluggish calves. I don't live in a selenium deficient area, so don't give Bo-Se and not familiar with it. But don't discount Karo syrup in his mouth for a boost of energy. I also give Vitamin B Complex.

As far as hypothermia, keep an eye on his temp, make sure it's 101.5, don't let him get chilled.

How big is the calf? I've read a lot about weak calf syndrome and the benefits of the madigan squeeze on another cattle forum. May be worth a try and there are numerous videos online.

I don't think you will have to prove those exact dollars we're used in that manner. After all, money is fungible. You'll only need to show you spent the equivalent of 60% of the funds on payroll. I do know one person who got a PPP loan that placed the funds in a separate checking account, and is paying himself those funds as payroll. FYI, he's also a banker... and an ag lender. He'll admit that might be a bit extreme, but wants to take no chances that forgiveness might be denied

I don't think you will have to prove those exact dollars we're used in that manner. After all, money is fungible. You'll only need to show you spent the equivalent of 60% of the funds on payroll. I do know one person who got a PPP loan that placed the funds in a separate checking account, and is paying himself those funds as payroll. FYI, he's also a banker... and an ag lender. He'll admit that might be a bit extreme, but wants to take no chances that forgiveness might be denied
We did the same

That was a great surprise to find. Glad to hear that. Hopefully the little guy can keep progressing for you. Nice when you can see your hard work starting to pay off.

Latest posts