Calf w/ a broke leg

Help Support CattleToday:

watson brangus

Reaction score
I just had my first ET calf off of a cow we have born just the other day. It is a very nice calf. To me looks like it could be very competitive when it gets older in the showring. Its only problem is that the recipiant cow stepped on the dang calfs leg and broke it perty darn good. We put a "cast" on the leg but we arent sure if the calf will get all the way right. Have any of you had the same problem and the calf come out walking alright afterwards?

Thanks

we broke the leg of a yearling bull just above the ankle one time. we casted it up and it took just nearly a year for him to get back as good as he could get. aftewards, his ankle was a little larger than the other, and it took a long time for him to put his weight back on, but he was able to breed and get around just fine. maybe the recover period for your little one will be fast since the calf is much younger.

Good luck

Ryan

watson brangus":31dp9t9z said:
I just had my first ET calf off of a cow we have born just the other day. It is a very nice calf. To me looks like it could be very competitive when it gets older in the showring. Its only problem is that the recipiant cow stepped on the dang calfs leg and broke it perty darn good. We put a "cast" on the leg but we arent sure if the calf will get all the way right. Have any of you had the same problem and the calf come out walking alright afterwards?

Thanks

Front or back? I am guessing the back....we had a calf that was probily 3-4 weeks old and the same thing happened. The vet put a makeshift full legged cast on that went all the way up to the top of the leg and around the hip bone. It was an interesting site and the calf really became part of the family, lol. After I cant remember how long with it on we took it off and it was fine till it hit about 400lbs, then it started to really go downhill fast. I ended up putting it down, but yours may come out of it. Problem is, when the calves get 1000lbs or more on their legs, need to have good legs under them otherwise there will be some serious problems, just my experience.

Now I know this calf is young but what I've been told is that if your calf ever breaks a leg, his show career is pretty much over. In that same breath, since he is young, you might turn out with better luck...though I'd still be a little worried about the problem that BaldyMan had with his.

Latest posts