Calf unsteady on feet

Help Support CattleToday:

Kempies4

Reaction score
I have a short horn calf about 3weeks old. we got her at 3 days old she was bright, jumping around and feeding superbley - running to get to the bucket. She had good colour with a shiny coat.
Over the past 4 days she is now lethargic, her coat has gone woody and she will fall over for no reason. she is not feeding as well as she use to and will miss a feed every now & then. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with her please or What can I do to help this calf.
She is being hand raised by my 15 year old daughter.

My first thoughts would be pneumonia or poor nutrition. The pneumonia you would probably be able to tell. The nutrition makes me curious of the milk replacer you're feeding. Unless it is all milk and milk byproducts and at least 20% fat and protein the calf may be starving with a full belly.

Does this calf have a fever? That is often one of the indicators of infection
Also, the old saying is-- Milk replacer alows a calf to survive, not usually thrive, is often true. See if someone may have some frozen colostrum (I try to keep some on hand for emergencies) and feed her a bit. it won't be absorbed as good as a newborn,but it still is higher in sugars, fats and vitamins than either replacer or regular milk, and might give her a needed boost..

Does she get calf starter also? If not she should. How about hay? Make sure she's in a nice warm protected pen also. Otherwise agree with what the others have said.

Latest posts